preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing a PRIDE 100w linear....need advice.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Now that is funny. Seriously though, for the money there isn't a radio that compares to it for CB/SSB use. Yes there are radios that will do more power on AM and SSB, but most drift like heck. That 980 is a rock solid radio on SSB and doesn't drift. And they are a clean and clear radio. You can always add an amp after you get the rest of your setup complete and working at its best.
    Like I said, the 980 is a great radio to start your system out with. Now get a good antenna setup and you'll really be hooked LOL! Have a good one. And have fun DX'ing. Haven't been on in a while. Guess I need to turn my radio on more often!!!

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Trying to post a pic....kinda tricky from my phone lol.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  20160711_065602.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  922.8 KB there it is...maybe.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Red75. 222FL has great advice! I keep a POWER SWR MODULATION meter between my shoes and my antenna. I've heard the case on both sides doing this, I've always had good luck. I use a red devil as well, I keep the gain about 20%. Those mikes are powerful and don't need much gain. When tuning your system, move to an open area. You may not get a reliable SWR reading around buildings or overhead transmission lines. Sean is right, stock equipment correctly installed usualy delivers your expectations, but there is nothing like new shoes! Gas can said it
    Gas Can said it !

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gas can For This Useful Post:

Red75 (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thx Gas can. Just passing along anything that will help. I always try to help others!! Makes for more people overall still using CB/SSB radios!!
    I am no expert by any means, just go by what I have experienced and researched myself as well as being a retired cell site technician. But anyways thx for the flowers man!! Much appreciated!! As always, have a great one.
    Sean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Red75 (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the advice! Checking out Predator 10k antennas and the Breedlove puck mount. Or the full whip and a ball mount. Decisions, lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Red75 For This Useful Post:

222FL (07-12-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello 222FL. I know the good feeling you get when helping a fellow operator. I've always enjoyed the entertainment value of the two way besides it being helpful and at times life saving on those long hauls! Knowing you're part of the radio system being set up the right way and giving the operator a great radio experience is self rewarding. I got the helper bug way way back when a super good friend "New comer" (on am) Sacramento Ca would help anybody and everybody with their radio systems. This great guy started at Pacific Bell as a lineman. He self-taught everything electronics and over 30 years later retired as Engineer. I used to watch him light up with a big smile anytime he was helping an operator, young or old, new to radio or experienced. His signal was something of envy and he always ran barefoot! You reminded me of my good friend when you said in a previous post, a well tuned system doesn't need shoes! I've gotten good info and tips from some of your posts and it goes to show ya that even an old goat like me can still learn new tricks! Sean keep making radio sound good with your info and tips! John. Gas can said it
    Gas Can said it !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah man, that RD will squeal if it's over 25% on me.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello Red75. Nice antenna choice, I've heard good reports. This might be helpful if you don't already know. No skimping on the coax and proper lengths for jumpers and antenna lead is important. Check with 222FL, the type of business he was in might yield you some good info. I've found that playing around with the lengths of jumpers and antenna lead when I changed antennas or shoes would help when my SWRs changed from moving gear in and out. The best advise I've ever received is, when it works QUIT changing gear around! Ahhhh....something about old dogs......, i don't know. If you decide to operate with PRIDE, two thoughts if you don't already know, first start with 1 watt and adjust carefully not to overdrive your shoe and second always add a fan to your shoe, heatsinks are minimum at best for moving heat away. Shoes can get quite warm, that's ok but shoes don't like to be hot! When shoes get hot they usually won't perform well and sometimes will burn up! I'm a back yard operator at best and only speak of my own experiences, hope some of this helps. Gas can said it
    Gas Can said it !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222FL View Post
    A hellava lot more than you let on!
    All answers are opinions and may, or may not be technically correct.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tallman For This Useful Post:

222FL (07-25-2016)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None