preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing a PRIDE 100w linear....need advice.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Installing a PRIDE 100w linear....need advice.

I'm running a Cobra 29Ltd Classic with a Astatic Road Devil D104 Mic and a Firestik II 4' antenna. I'm wanting to install my first linear and would like some advice on doing it properly. Thanks!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before adding a linear I would look into getting a taller antenna and also making sure you have the best antenna setup possible as well as a good match and such before you add an amp. JMHO.

I'm just a CB'er, what do I know???

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Red75 (07-09-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thinking of a full whip.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anything taller will work better than the 4ft antenna.
    There are several antennas to consider.
    The 108" whip.
    102" whip with spring.
    Sirio makes some nice mobile antennas as well. Look into the Sirio performer 5000 models.
    Also a good hard mount on the roof will help a bunch. Breedlove mounts are damn good mounts. The 3" single hole mounts are sweet and the Sirio performer 5000 works well with them. Also this antenna is almost 7ft tall, making it a contender to the 102" whip. Which is what you truly are looking at height wise for a good antenna. Something closer to the 102"- 108" area or 8-9ft of antenna.
    Then like I said, a good mount, not a magnet mount either. A good hard mount. Yes this will cost more. But it's well worth the money. You will notice a large increase in rx and tx range.
    Next is bonding. Bond all body parts to frame. Use 1/2"-1" flat braid ground strap.
    I will say this. I can use a stock uniden 980 SSB radio that puts out 8-10 watts of pep on SSB. With a Sirio performer 5000 and using the Breedlove mount, all being used on a ford e350 work van, I talk out to 30-35 miles consistently with no other power. 8-10 watts on SSB. So you see it doesn't take much power to talk pretty far. Now add the amp in line and I would have made it probably another 15 miles or so before dropping out. Not bad for a mobile locally talking.
    And yes I could work DX with it. No amp.
    But at any rate, get your antenna setup correct and you'll see a large improvement there. Then think about the amp and whether you will even need it. Again, JMHO's.
    If you are truly set on installing the amp then I will help as much as I can with that, but I first suggest you look into a better antenna system before adding any more power. Have a good day.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Red75 (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks, I'm looking at them now. I'll definitely need the help, lol.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Great advice by the way!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries. I will pass anything I know that is worth a hoot along. It's the least I can do as it's the way I got where I am!! Just have fun and be safe! That is what it's all about.
    73 and God Bless,
    222 Daytona Beach, FL.
    Sean.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good advice is priceless! I prefer experience to someone that's read a lot, lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Red75 For This Useful Post:

222FL (07-10-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are many myths and snake oil out there!! And crappy techs as well!! Best thing to do with a radio is to leave it stock!! Or send it to a good tech and have a tune and alignment done. One radio that comes to mind that doesn't need much done to make it a great radio got just over $100 shipped. The uniden 980. While not a 50w radio, it will drive most any amp and not over drive them, and they are dead on freq out of the box on SSB. Also they are clean and clear radios.
    If you want to spend your money, don't waste it on export radios, just save up and get an HF or what some call a ham radio. Kenwood, Yaseu, and Icom all make some sweet radios that aren't priced to bad compared to some exports.
    Anyways, for now focus on the antenna system. This means, antenna, mount, coax, connectors. And a good install. As well as bonding of body panels. This will ensure the best possible ERP out of the antenna, where it counts!!! JMHO. Just research what I am speaking of and you'll see that a good antenna system is the heart of any good radio setup.
    Again, be safe and have a good one.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to 222FL For This Useful Post:

Red75 (07-11-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I picked up a new Uniden Bearcat 980SSB yesterday morning, lol. I sure did. I'm really enjoying that side band. That little radio can talk! Well the dx was really good yesterday too. Much more of what I was wanting at the moment.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None