preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with 98vhp

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help with 98vhp

I'm new here searching the web for help. Maybe yall can lead me in the right direction. I have a 98vhp and just recently took a new job. It was set up in my peterbilt and worked great. Now I have a Mack CH600 and the SWRs are high, I can't turn the power up at all or the radio starts pulsing and the lights start getting bright and dim bright and dim. The mic shocks me. Anyone ever experienced these problems before? What did you do to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like you have several problems going on at the same time... To fix the "Mic Shock" run a ground wire off the radios mounting bracket to the firewall, or some other good grounding point.

If the SWR is high, your going to need to do some adjusting to your antenna to fix that, the radio could care less which truck it's in, but if you moved the antenna from one truck to a different truck, then it's going to have to be re-tuned. Moving antenna's from one vehicle to another doesn't always work without having to re-tune.

The lights dimming usually is caused from trying to run more power than your system can support... In a Big truck tho I wouldn't think a Galaxy 98 would be too big for the electrical system (unless your also trying to run a 8-pill Amp too maybe)

I would check your power connections on the radio and make sure your using large enough gage wire from the radio to the battery and have a good ground(preferably have the radios ground wire ran to negative terminal on battery, and hot wire to positive post on battery)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Sounds like you have several problems going on at the same time... To fix the "Mic Shock" run a ground wire off the radios mounting bracket to the firewall, or some other good grounding point.

If the SWR is high, your going to need to do some adjusting to your antenna to fix that, the radio could care less which truck it's in, but if you moved the antenna from one truck to a different truck, then it's going to have to be re-tuned. Moving antenna's from one vehicle to another doesn't always work without having to re-tune.

The lights dimming usually is caused from trying to run more power than your system can support... In a Big truck tho I wouldn't think a Galaxy 98 would be too big for the electrical system (unless your also trying to run a 8-pill Amp too maybe)

I would check your power connections on the radio and make sure your using large enough gage wire from the radio to the battery and have a good ground(preferably have the radios ground wire ran to negative terminal on battery, and hot wire to positive post on battery)
    Could I damage the radio if I continue to use it with the shock? I've turned the power all the way down and the lights don't pulse unless I turn the power up. I also blew a inline fuse and replaced it with a 40a. It had a 30a in it but I couldn't find any around my town. Could this be a problem as well? I appreciate all the help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel
    What is the radio hooked to are you using the pins some trucks have on the dash sometimes they will not handle a 30amp load on them the surging is probably why the 30a fuse blew

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

And yes a high swr if to high can damage the radio even if its not pulsing at low power

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ive got it straight wired to the battery with the cable the cb shop gave me

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Then its most likely an antenna issue causing it how high is the swr? also the ground wire to the radio like he said might help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The SWR is around 2.5-3

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    SWR too high. As for the "shock" causing damage to the radio, probably not... But it's not going to do your lip any good!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there a way to set SWR without a inline meter?

Visitors found this page by searching for

None