preps

Thread: 102" whip on bird perch on 2015 Cascadia?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

102" whip on bird perch on 2015 Cascadia?

I'm thinking about putting my whip in my Cascadia at work. Any one done this? Good, bad, indifferent??

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Only down side I could see would be the over-all height... and the fact a 102" whip is going to do allot of bending running down the road at 70+ MPH. may end up whacking something you don't want "whacked".

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-08-2016), BOOTY MONSTER (09-25-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Might want to look at the Sirio trucker series 5000. If needed you can also get a longer bottom shaft from either Wilson, Google Wilson and look under their replacement parts. They sell a 10" bottom shaft. The Sirio one is 8", which may work or not. You preferably would want to have the loading coil just above the top of the roof. There also may be some custom antenna builders that can supply you with a longer bottom shaft. Or even try Larsen or Hustler for a longer bottom shaft. That or go with a Wilson trucker style antenna. I prefer the Sirio antennas due to the lack of QC on some of the Wilson antennas. They may have gotten better. But about a year or so ago I installed 2 new ones and neither would tune worth a crap. This was using an antenna analyzer as well. I've seen and own several Sirio antennas and they are made well and also tune well. Just some food for thought. But JJD is totally correct about placing a 102" whip on a mirror mount. Won't work too well at all IMO as well.
    The Sirio trucker series antennas are a much bette option as well as the Wilson T2000 trucker antenna. But like I said, I prefer the Sirio antennas due to the reason above. JMHO's. I hope this helps some. Google is your friend, just search Sirio antennas and you'll find where you can get them stateside. Many places sells them. Again, just food for thought and hope you get something that works well for your needs. Good day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Only down side I could see would be the over-all height... and the fact a 102" whip is going to do allot of bending running down the road at 70+ MPH. may end up whacking something you don't want "whacked".
    I thought the same thing... I have it leaned forward so it will stand up in the wind.. Also I just run from Hsv, al to Bham,al so definitely no low passes... Im working on grounding it now.... Hey it looks a little silly but she walks and talks.( Most of the time)...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like I mentioned, look into one of the coil loaded antennas like the Sirio trucker 5000. Although not quite as tall as a 102" whip, they don't have to be leaned forward and they do work well for trucks such as yours. I've seen quite a few installs with them being used as of late and all have seemed to tune very well using an antenna analyzer. This is not to say your current setup isn't working and doing what it's supposed to. Just some other options. Have fun, that is what it's all about!! And have a good day.
    73 and God Bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Hounddog82 View Post
    I'm thinking about putting my whip in my Cascadia at work. Any one done this? Good, bad, indifferent??
    Know a guy that did this with great results. He put a 6" shaft on it (from a Wilson Trucker ant) and leaned it forward a tad. He expirements a lot with different antennas and always go back to the 102+6.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Since the later 70's I've used the Hustler rigid mast and the large beer can resonator. Spring mounted but tethered to keep it standing upright at speed. Mounted as high as possible, either rear facing or side facing. Quick disconnects allow for swapping to a 102 when needed (low hanging trees).

Visitors found this page by searching for

None