preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Shipping is $8 for the 2 smaller ones, the S350-12 and the S400-12 and $15 for the larger S700-12 50A ones. Again hope this helps.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

jmschumski (09-14-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Before you go out and spend a bunch of money right now, know that the CB or 11 meter band is pretty dead. You might get occasional DX, but don't expect it everyday that is for sure!! You will find that more local stuff will be your best bet. And a good 5/8 wave vertical antenna will do that just fine. A good radio that won't break the bank and can safely be used with your messenger amp is the uniden 980. They work great out of the box on SSB and are 99.9% of the time dead on frequency right out of the box. Mine was as well as what I have read about many others. Only issue with this radio is the weak final they used. It's not rated for very much power.
    Best things to do if you get one, a uniden 980 that is, is to turn the AM power back to 2 watts dead key and about 8 watts of pep. On SSB turn the power back to about 8 watts pep as well. This can be done by a tech rather easily or by yourself if you have some knowledge about radios. Just don't use a metal screwdriver!!! And always make your adjustments into a 50 ohm dummy load. A 25 watt dummy load will work fine for that radio. And also reason for keeping the dead key at 2 watts is that the internal diagnostics will be skewed if you take the power down below 2 watts. I don't trust internal meters anyways. But it is some food for thought. And also 2 watts dead key should be plenty for that amp you have. Don't worry so much about the output power of the amp as long as it's making a decent amount of power. I am not too familiar with that particular amp, so excuse me if I don't know how many transistors it has. I do know that the uniden 980 won't overdrive it. And like I said, don't worry about getting 600 watts out of it. If you get 400 watts using the 980 as a radio, no one on the other end will notice a difference. And it will keep the amp cool and happy. And they are a clean radio as long as you don't try to squeeze every last watt out of them. Also if you plan on using an external speaker, remove the internal one. This will help a little with keeping the radio cool. Adding a small fan or heat sink to the back of the radio isn't a bad idea either. Just turning the power back like I mentioned above will help a bunch believe it or not.
    Now with that amp, again, not sure what the amp draw is, but make sure you have some headroom, meaning get more than you need. If it says it draws 50 amps, get a 60-75 amp power supply. Won't hurt a thing. Better to have more amperage then not have enough.
    Now like I said, either a good antenna like JJD has which can operate both vertically and horizontally will work well or just a good vertical antenna will work fine. This is where my money would go to first!! JMHO about that as I said in previous posts. The Sirio 2016, 827, or if you don't get bad weather the Sirio vector 4000, are good antennas for the money. You want to spend more. Look into the US made Shockwave antenna, or an I10K or even a Mr. Coily antenna. But these are very heavy antennas, or at least the Shockwave is. The sirio 2016 is no slouch, neither is the 827 or the vector 4000. Get them up to 30ft or more off the ground and they will work well. And don't skimp on the coax and such either. I know there is more info, but for now, research the antennas and get a power supply if you plan on using a mobile radio. Again I hope all this helps and have a good day!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

jmschumski (09-14-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you made up your mind as to what you are going to do?? Just curious. For the money you want to spend, an IMAX 2000, with a 1:1 isolation balun and a good single final radio, something like a uniden grant, uniden pc122, or even the uniden 980 will work well with that amp you have. Then get the proper power supplies you will need to run them.
    A push up pole will work for now, or a tripod mounted on your roof properly and a 10ft 2" mast pipe, and some guyed wire or rope. Then ground everything correctly. Use at least 3 or more ground rods and tie them all together to form a single point ground system. Reading up on how they ground commercial towers is a good way to learn how to do this. Also a good surge arrestor, one made by polyphaser, Huber shuner, or similar, is a good idea as well as good coax and connectors. I always like to use at the very least LMR240 or LMR400. But that is just me. It lasts a lot longer. And is good coax. As long as you stay away from the cheap stuff. Buy from a good company. Same with the surge arrestor and connectors. You can order your coax with connectors already installed. Not a bad idea either. Just some food for thought. Yes there are other antennas as I've listed before, but the IMAX 2000 is a decent antenna that is easily put up. That or an A99 with the GPK kit to help with cmc issues. Again, JMHO's. Have a good one and let us know what you end up doing. And be safe!!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

None