preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Help

Looking to buy a base station radio setup need some advice on which radios are good what antennas so on and so forth

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You looking for a regular type base radio or a mobile you could hook up to a power supply? AM/SSB? Beam or ground plane? Lot's of variables...

What kind of $$$ you looking to spend?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-09-2016), jmschumski (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    You looking for a regular type base radio or a mobile you could hook up to a power supply? AM/SSB? Beam or ground plane? Lot's of variables...

What kind of $$$ you looking to spend?
    Thought about going either way was look for some opinions. For starting out I will probably go with a mobile that I can hook to a power supply starting out. I have a 600 watt messenger amp(haven't decided what I'm putting it on yet) AM/SSB wanting to mount the antenna on the roof of the house

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Probably around 600$ to start if it's possible being I'm just getting into the base station side.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jmschumski For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    For a good starter radio and having that amp, the RCI 2950, magnum 1, or strkyer 955hp would work well. As far as antennas. For a vertical depending on where you live, a good 3 element beam would work well for DX and the Sirio line of antennas like the Sirio 827, 2016, or even the Sirio vector 4000, if you don't have bad weather would be ideal. Anything else and you are looking at way more money.
    For other beam the antennas, there are many, but you would either have to build one or spend some more money.
    Same with the vertical antennas. Shockwave (USA ones), the I10K, and the Mr. Coily, antennas are very nice, but they cost!!
    This goes for most beam antennas other than a 3 Element Yagi, which Sirio makes. As well as a bunch of others I believe. JJD, is way more versed than I am when it comes to antennas. I run a Sirio vector 4000, and it has served me well for what it is. Yes they could use some beefing up, but if you don't live in a bad weather area. They will hold up fine with some minor mods. As far as radios, the ones I listed or even an older cobra 148gtl, or uniden grant would work well for AM/SSB. If AM only get a cobra 29 or similar.
    I use an HF radio myself, but most of my time is spent on SSB.
    Power suppy wise. You'll need a decently large on X and for those I recommend the MegaWatt power supplies. If you plan on running that amp anyway. The MegaWatt S700-12, which are 50A switching supplies. Get 2 of them and parallel them. They have this ability out of the box. Just have to adjust voltages properly so they aren't fighting each other. That or a couple of the MegaWatt S400-12's which are rated at 36A. Google MegaWatt power supplies for more info on those.
    Now as for linear power supplies, you would need at least something like an Astron 70A supply if not larger. And those will cost you a bunch!! The MegaWatt supplies, while being a switching one, are pretty darn clean. I use one of the S400-12'a with my Icom 746 and have never had any noise or hash issues. Many will say the same. Read up on them and you'll see why I say these particular ones.
    Any more info needed, I'm sure others will respond. I think I've given enough to get you started with some research. Have a good day.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

jmschumski (09-09-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    For a good starter radio and having that amp, the RCI 2950, magnum 1, or strkyer 955hp would work well. As far as antennas. For a vertical depending on where you live, a good 3 element beam would work well for DX and the Sirio line of antennas like the Sirio 827, 2016, or even the Sirio vector 4000, if you don't have bad weather would be ideal. Anything else and you are looking at way more money.
    For other beam the antennas, there are many, but you would either have to build one or spend some more money.
    Same with the vertical antennas. Shockwave (USA ones), the I10K, and the Mr. Coily, antennas are very nice, but they cost!!
    This goes for most beam antennas other than a 3 Element Yagi, which Sirio makes. As well as a bunch of others I believe. JJD, is way more versed than I am when it comes to antennas. I run a Sirio vector 4000, and it has served me well for what it is. Yes they could use some beefing up, but if you don't live in a bad weather area. They will hold up fine with some minor mods. As far as radios, the ones I listed or even an older cobra 148gtl, or uniden grant would work well for AM/SSB. If AM only get a cobra 29 or similar.
    I use an HF radio myself, but most of my time is spent on SSB.
    Power suppy wise. You'll need a decently large on X and for those I recommend the MegaWatt power supplies. If you plan on running that amp anyway. The MegaWatt S700-12, which are 50A switching supplies. Get 2 of them and parallel them. They have this ability out of the box. Just have to adjust voltages properly so they aren't fighting each other. That or a couple of the MegaWatt S400-12's which are rated at 36A. Google MegaWatt power supplies for more info on those.
    Now as for linear power supplies, you would need at least something like an Astron 70A supply if not larger. And those will cost you a bunch!! The MegaWatt supplies, while being a switching one, are pretty darn clean. I use one of the S400-12'a with my Icom 746 and have never had any noise or hash issues. Many will say the same. Read up on them and you'll see why I say these particular ones.
    Any more info needed, I'm sure others will respond. I think I've given enough to get you started with some research. Have a good day.
    Have you heard anything good about the galaxy 2517 kinda curious as I'm a galaxy fan

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know much about the Galaxy radios other then them being good for AM use mostly. For SSB use, I prefer an HF radio. I have had many Galaxy radios. But I used them all on AM only. So that is about as far as my knowledge goes as far as knowing them. They do well on AM. SSB they can drift some. Just from what I have heard on the air. Some do better than others. I suppose the weather has a lot to do with it as well. They don't like cold temps. I am sure others have more knowledge than I when it comes to the 2517. Like I said before. If you are looking for both AM and SSB use, get an RCI 2950 or something similar like the Stryker 955, or magnum 1. Or even a used HF radio. But if you are going to use the radio for mostly AM, the Galaxy radios are pretty good. That is JMHO. I'm no radio expert that is for sure!! I have a few left, but have gotten rid of a few. I now use an Icom 746 for my base station, and use it 99.9% of the time on SSB. If I want to talk on AM, I break out my cobra 29 LX LE, or one of my other AM radios. But I don't do AM much. Most of the guys around here use SSB. So that is where I am mostly. I do listen to a few locals on AM and speak with them from time to time, but not too often. Again. There are many others here that are much more knowledgable about radios than I am!!
    Sorry I can't be of more help with the 2517, but I think it's a pretty basic radio. Like a 949 but built around a base station. I could be wrong though.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    I don't know much about the Galaxy radios other then them being good for AM use mostly. For SSB use, I prefer an HF radio. I have had many Galaxy radios. But I used them all on AM only. So that is about as far as my knowledge goes as far as knowing them. They do well on AM. SSB they can drift some. Just from what I have heard on the air. Some do better than others. I suppose the weather has a lot to do with it as well. They don't like cold temps. I am sure others have more knowledge than I when it comes to the 2517. Like I said before. If you are looking for both AM and SSB use, get an RCI 2950 or something similar like the Stryker 955, or magnum 1. Or even a used HF radio. But if you are going to use the radio for mostly AM, the Galaxy radios are pretty good. That is JMHO. I'm no radio expert that is for sure!! I have a few left, but have gotten rid of a few. I now use an Icom 746 for my base station, and use it 99.9% of the time on SSB. If I want to talk on AM, I break out my cobra 29 LX LE, or one of my other AM radios. But I don't do AM much. Most of the guys around here use SSB. So that is where I am mostly. I do listen to a few locals on AM and speak with them from time to time, but not too often. Again. There are many others here that are much more knowledgable about radios than I am!!
    Sorry I can't be of more help with the 2517, but I think it's a pretty basic radio. Like a 949 but built around a base station. I could be wrong though.
    I live in South Carolina so weather isn't too much of a problem, I have a 959 in my pickup. I was just curious if any one had any personal experience with one I've not decided yet by no means but was just curious on how they perform. I picked someone up from FL the other day on 38 LSB but I don't have enough power or the right antenna on my mobile to get out and talk at the moment

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some pretty good old radio for SSB use include the cobra 148's, uniden pc122's, uniden grants, and for base stations the cobra 2000's and uniden Washington's. All good radios for both AM and SSB. But most newer radios don't have drift issues though. Some don't like exports, but the rci 2950 or Stryker 955hp are pretty good SSB radios as well as AM radios too. But these are JMHO's. Also getting the best antenna you can is key to making contacts no matter what radio you are using. My Sirio vector 4000 has done an excellent job for me for a vertical antenna. But they are a long antenna and can get damaged from bad weather. I modded mine very slightly, adding some HD heat shrink to every one of the joints of the vertical part of the antenna. This coupled with using guyed ropes near the top of my mast has helped tremendously. It's seen its share of foul weather here in central FL where I live and is as good as the day I placed it up. Here is a of pic of my antenna.

There are many other antennas out there that are more heavy duty, but this one is pretty good for what it is and is a darn good vertical antenna IMO. It makes me many contacts when the conditions allow. If I can hear stations, 99.9% of the time I can get back to them with 100w max. I use less and it gets the job done. But sometimes when there's a pileup, a good antenna and 100 watts on SSB will get you out of the mud believe it or not. Anyhow. If you really like the Galaxy radios, have a look at the 94hp. They seem to get pretty good reviews. Just from what I have read. Hope all this helps, and have a good one.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Spend as much as you can on the antenna setup then worry about the radio. A uniden 980 with a good mic will do the job quite well paired with that amp. And don't forget you'll need a good power supply as well. JMHO's. Others might disagree. But your antenna system is what is going to make or break your ability to get out and make contacts.
    Like I said, if it were me, that is the way I would go about things. I'll let some others more knowledgable than I tell you wha the scoop is. But I am pretty sure they won't disagree with what I have said. Hope thus helps and have a good one!!
    73 and God Bless from
    222 Daytona Bch., FL.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None