preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What am I doing wrong?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries. Here to help all I can. Just ask, and if I can help I will. Hope you get it right. It takes some time. Don't worry I went through this myself when first starting. But at lead you are trying to learn. Again, good luck and be safe!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So will the measurements in the drawn diagram be different if I'm using RG8x? It's 50 Ohms is it important to use the 75 Ohms instead? If so why is that?

Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The piece of 75 ohm coax needed is to bring the impedance back down to 50 ohms. So some reading on what impedance is and how it works with antennas. It will explain a lot as to why you may need it. You can also use a 1:1 matching balun or about 12 mix 31 snap on ferrite chokes as well.
    The reason you may be seeing the 2:1 VSWR readings is to due to an impedance mismatch. And the 75 ohm piece of of coax will bring the impedance back down to around 50 ohms. Also so will a 1:1 matching balun or a choke or even ferrite chokes as well. Read up on how dipoles work and how they need to be built to work properly. There is more to making an antenna than just an SWR reading. Just know that. I won't go into detail as it may really confuse you. But I suggest reading and researching how to build a proper dipole antenna for 11 meters or the CB band. Google will have tons of info on this subject. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here are some pics of an 11 meter dipole off eBay. Note the prices. The last one I posted is the best one as it has a 1:1 matching balun and will just need to be hung up between 2 trees or wherever you can get it up at least 18ft off the ground. The higher the better.
    I'm not sure about the 2 first ones I posted as to having a 1:1 balun, but the Dr. Dipole one does have one and they do work well. Placed as an inverted V, they work good for both local and DX work. Placed horizontal they work okay for local and very well for DX. Just some food for thought. You can try one of the less expensive ones and see what happens. I've heard good things about the cheap one actually, but have never used one myself. I have installed a Dr. Dipole one and it worked very well. Placed up between 2 extendable painters poles or even extendable fishing poles for crappie or spec fishing they work well. You know where to get the painters poles and the extendable fishing poles can be bought at Walmart or most any freshwater bait and tackle shop. Or just try using what you have. Split the coax like you have it and instead of trying to use it vertically, hang it up as an inverted V or horizontally between 2 trees or painters poles or extendable fishing poles. They don't have to be 18ft off the ground.
    As a matter of fact the 1st dipole I built was maybe 10ft off the ground and I was able to talk to Australia from Daytona beach, FL. Not bad considering I was using a 12 watt uniden pc122xl on 38lsb. The conditions play a major role in how this happened, but the antenna helped. Again, I hope some of this helps and keep at it!! You'll figure it out. Be safe and just take your time.
    73 and God Bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Okay. I see now the 2nd and 3rd dipoles I posted do include a 1:1 matching balun to keep the impedance at 50 ohms. This will keep your radio happy. Again, like I said, do some research into the antennas before you continue to get an understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. JMHO. It will help. I promise.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me also say that with the CB band or 11 meter band being pretty much dead, that now would be a good time to focus on some learning and also think about what you want to accomplish as there is not very much if any DX at all at the moment. That being said, an A99 or similar would work for local use. As much as I don't like them, they are very easy to setup and you might even be able to find a used one locally. Or one that someone isn't using and will give to you. It's how I got my first antenna. Given the area you're in, OH, I would think that there will be an increase in the sales of many base and mobile radios as well as antennas and towers/masts. Check your local Craigslist and see what pops up. You might just get lucky and find a decent antenna. But like I said, the band is pretty well dead. So trying to spend a bunch of money on stuff wouldn't be my first thing to do at this point unless you are certain you have many or even some locals to talk to. I don't care if you have 1000 watts at the moment. Won't do much good when there is nobody on the other end to talk to. JMHO's. Best thing you can do is to get your learn on and figure out a way to either build an antenna or find one that someone isn't using. Again, JMHO's. Have a good day and good luck with everything.
    73 and God Bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really appreciate your frankness. At the moment I'm satisfying a boyhood dream (albeit in my forties!) of using a CB and I've only had it for a few weeks. The effort I'm putting in now is toward getting my first antenna up and finding out who if anyone is out there around me locally. I am already considering HAM radio as a future interest to follow on from CB once I get my head around some fundamentals. HAM equipment is generally far more expensive than CB as far as I can tell. So it's going to take time to save for this equipment, in the meantime while saving I can study for the licence and join my local HAM club. Dipoles seem like a good idea especially when I consider that I can use them for both local and long range communications. If there's nobody locally, will the dipoles range in normal conditions mean that I should be able to find people, or are you saying that the CB band overall in the US is basically dead and over with and that I would be better to sell my gear and save for my HAM equipment?

I found a local HAM operator working in my local Lowes and he thought I should sell my CB equipment.

Thanks

Hankyexpress

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep. About the gist of it. I wouldn't go blowing a bunch of money on CB gear at the moment. I own a HAM or HF radio, and Icom 746. It was my 2nd HF radio, a kenwood ts140s i paid about $300 for being the 1st. And both will transmit on the CB band. While the AM side of the Icom isn't the best, the kenwood doesn't do so bad on either SSB or AM. My Icom 746 cost me more, but has served me well using it for SSB on 11m.
    All that aside, build yourself a dipole and put it up as high as you can. There are several ways to utilize them for both local and long distance comms. But if you read around and speak to some others, you'll soon see the CB band is dead. The DX cycle is over and won't start again for a few years. This doesn't mean you won't hear DX at all, just that the chances are much less. Best to hold onto what you have and if you are going to get your ticket, just go that route. But I know there will be nay Sayers. I haven't gotten mine. By choice more then knowledge. I have studied for mine but just have a hard time wanting to register all my stuff. Know what I mean. Not that the FCC has the man power to catch every law breaking person, but hey anything is possible. All it takes is a phone call from a put ad neighbor about something and you have them at your door wanting to look at all your stuff.
    Again, odds are most likely you'll get ran over by a bus, but there are still the odds. Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you want to do!! I'll say that. But for now, I would really look into whether you have any locals to speak with before you go spending a bunch on antennas and radios for CB use or the 11 meter band. That is JMHO. My radio hasn't been on in days. And that isn't like me. But there just isn't anyone around. Unless you like sitting around all day and maybe catching something you won't have much luck at the moment. Again, JMHO. If it were me, I'd get a decent power supply like the ones I posted. The S400-12 or the S700-12 being top of the list and use what you have for now. If you want a good radio that won't break the bank truly look at the uniden 980. Great AM and SSB radios for the money. And then either build or buy a dipole, which can be used again for both local and DX comms depending on how you place it up. In an L form, it will give you local comms and some DX, as an inverted V it will give some local comms and pretty good DX as well. As a horizontal antenna it will work out to about 5 miles locally and pretty darn good for DX. But like I said, the band is pretty well dead. An Antron A99 placed at 30ft or higher would work well or even an IMAX 2000. They are pretty broad banded as well and can be used on other bands such as the amateur ones. Use an antenna tuner and you'll be set. But like I said, for now, learn how to build a dipole and see what you get. Just need a power supply if you have a radio you can use. If not, again, look into the uniden 980. It does both AM and SSB. And they are good radios for the money. JMHO's. And again, if you are truly wanting to get your license, don't bother buying much. Just study and get your ticket and then save up and get a good HAM Radio. Doing some research you'll understand why I say all I have said. The DX cycle being dead and not coming back for a while and when it does will it even be that great? These are things I would look into first and foremost before you make any rash decisions. I am a cb'er at heart, but I too am looking to attain my license one day. Not right now, too many politics!! But don't let that stop YOU!! Do some real research for yourself and then weigh the options is all I am saying. Hope this all helps. Have a good one.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have given some info to another member as to what power supplies I would get. The thread name HELP. Read it and it should help some as well. Good luck with whatever you decide and have fun. That is the main thing!!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Once I found out what channel the locals use I found there to be a good many around me. I just had to know where to look and then wait a listen. I can get out 20 to 30 miles with my set. I use a Uniden 980 and a Siero Tornado antenna.

Visitors found this page by searching for

t2lt antenna