Downloads
    Uploads
    No. I don't have enough input power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    When you say input power, I assume you are speaking about AM carrier or SSB pep wattage?? Or something else??

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Am carrier

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From what I've read also this amp isn't really made for AM use. It's an SSB, amp. Not to say it can't be used on AM. Crusher, what would you recommend as far as carrier power goes on AM with this amp? Around 30-50 watts? I've seen some say 100 watts. Is that too much? That would be 400 modulated watts if radio is set for a proper 1:4 ratio. Sounds a bit much for an amp that produces 500 watts per the specs sheet I saw here.
    Or are these numbers incorrect as well? I am now curious and I don't have one of these amps LOL!!! Thx for any and all responses.
    Seems to me that this is a 100% SSB type amp that will need about 100 watts pep on SSB to make it work right. And also a good AC power source as it draws 16 amps on 120VAC, and 8 amps on 240VAC. You about need a dedicated 20 amp circuit for 120VAC operation or a 10amp 240vac deducted circuit. Again, I am not sure these figures are correct as far as the amp rating, but I can see it needs some amperage for sure! No other crap plugged into a 20 amp circuit should do the trick. As well as the proper mode of operation and power drive level. As well as a either a foot pedal or keying relay. Again, thx for your help man!! You know it's always appreciated man!
    73 and God Bless from
    222 Daytona Beach, FL,
    Sean.
    And P.S. One day I'll be sending my TNT 600hd up there to have it biased correctly and gone over!! Just need to get my shizz together. Anyhow will Talk about that another time.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm starting to wander if I should just sell this amp and get something else intended for the 26/27mhz range in AM, that doesn't require drive.

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    From what I've read also this amp isn't really made for AM use. It's an SSB, amp. Not to say it can't be used on AM. Crusher, what would you recommend as far as carrier power goes on AM with this amp? Around 30-50 watts? I've seen some say 100 watts. Is that too much? That would be 400 modulated watts if radio is set for a proper 1:4 ratio. Sounds a bit much for an amp that produces 500 watts per the specs sheet I saw here.
    Or are these numbers incorrect as well? I am now curious and I don't have one of these amps LOL!!! Thx for any and all responses.
    Seems to me that this is a 100% SSB type amp that will need about 100 watts pep on SSB to make it work right. And also a good AC power source as it draws 16 amps on 120VAC, and 8 amps on 240VAC. You about need a dedicated 20 amp circuit for 120VAC operation or a 10amp 240vac deducted circuit. Again, I am not sure these figures are correct as far as the amp rating, but I can see it needs some amperage for sure! No other crap plugged into a 20 amp circuit should do the trick. As well as the proper mode of operation and power drive level. As well as a either a foot pedal or keying relay. Again, thx for your help man!! You know it's always appreciated man!
    73 and God Bless from
    222 Daytona Beach, FL,
    Sean.
    And P.S. One day I'll be sending my TNT 600hd up there to have it biased correctly and gone over!! Just need to get my shizz together. Anyhow will Talk about that another time.
    Try asking badnews : )

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    A 1 pill driver would cruise this nicely. Sb200 should only DK about 200 or so. Not much more. Those 572b'scan be hard to get at times. RF parts just started selling their brand again. Market was out for almost a year or 2.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crusher For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-18-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    About 60-100 watts max. Depending on the driver. But it appears he needs some drive to get it going at all.
    Matt, depending on how/what you decide or need/have to do, like Crusher stated, a good single final radio, like a uniden 980, cobra 19, 29, 148, and many other single final radios that do 8-10 watts on AM and 12 watts SSB if wanted and a good 1 transistor amp, would be the way to go with that amp. That or find an HF radio. Something older might not be a bad idea. Or look around for ones that do well enough on AM. The Kenwood 480 works well on am from my experience with using one. All in how you set it up. Other radios are the Icom 7000, and a few others that are older ones. The kenwood 520 or somethihg like that might work as well.
    The other route is an export radio like the strkyer 955HP. At 60-70 watts or more, which they can safely do 60-70 watts I am pretty sure, you could use something like that as well. Or even the RCI 2970N2 with the power turned back to about 100 watts max on both AM and SSB. Just some food for thought. Hope you get all resolved. And if you do decide to find a 1 pill driver amp, make sure you either have a good power supply or that it has a built in one. And be careful where you buy from as well as the kind you buy!! JMHO'a. And like I said, some food for thought. Have a good day!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Crusher (09-19-2016), mattsowders1989 (09-19-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ask around before you go buy one . If you speak with the right people I am sure one can be made for you! And it will be a very clean amp as well as clean output!!
    Anyhow, hope you are able to get it working correctly!! If you have access to a 40 watt radio or more, you should be able to see power out of the amp. Suppose the little radio on its own just won't do it. Also you have it connected to a good breaker right. A 15A breaker being used all by itself is what I would either install or find one that you have and repurpose it if possible. That or run a 240vac line. That will help with amp rating, and a little better efficiency, but if you have enough 120VAC amperage, you'll be good to go as well. Make sure the breaker you have in there now is good and isn't old. And also check the size of the wire and that you are able or can get access to a 15-20 amp circuit. Like I said, only other way is to add one. Not fun if you aren't an electrician!! Not AC wiring!!! Anyhow. Again, I truly hope you can get it going!! Good luck and be safe!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Crusher (09-19-2016), mattsowders1989 (09-19-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If the little bi-linear amp I have worked. It would be a perfect match. Just need a small power supply. And you most likely could have had one that would do the job well for about $60-$70 dollars shipped to your door. Look for a nice little 100 watt amp. Also an idea would be to use an RM Italy KL203P. It might not do exactly 100 watts, but it should be enough to key that amp and make it work. They don't take much input. A .5-2 watt max dead key or AM carrier is all that is needed for them to work properly. And pep power about 4-6 watts on AM, and about stock 12 watts on SSB. No hot rodded cb's needed. A stock radio with the AM power turned down to show about a 2 watt dead key and 100% modulation should show about 8 watts pep. That is plenty for AM. And SSB, leave the radio stock or even turn the power back a bit.
    The uniden 980 is actually a great radio to pair with one of these amps and add a MegaWatt S400-12 power supply, which does 9-15vdc at 30+ amps all day long. Total cost for all 3 pieces would be a little over $200. That is for radio, amp, and power supply. MegaWatt also makes a little smaller unit, its cost is $50 versus the S400-12 unit. The S350-12 unit is $50 and should still have plenty of power to operate the 980 and the RM amp as well. Run at 13.8vdc. Or get an amp that plugs in the wall.
    Last would be to get an HF radio that will transmit on 11M. There are still some good tube radios that with the correct mods can do well ok AM. Also the kenwood ts440s can be modded i believe. At any rate, you have a lot to work with.
    Only bad side to all this is that the CB or 11m band is pretty dead. And no amount of power will help when there aren't any conditions or people to talk to. Yes locally you can have fun, but man I hope you don't need that much power to talk locally!! Have a good one. And good luck with whatever you do!!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

mattsowders1989 (09-19-2016)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1776-Heathkit-SB-200-not-modded-or-altered-Wanting-to-use-on-11-meter

sb-200 cb radio