preps
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Heathkit SB-200 not modded or altered. Wanting to use on 11-meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you so much 222. You have given me a load of info. I'll be doing some research for the next little bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank Crusher, he is the one that mentioned the use of a small driver amp to get your amp to key. A 1 transistor driver amp would work well, but I would want one that has thermally tracking AB biasing, VSWR protection, good fan and airflow design, and that doesn't need much drive to work the way it is supposed to. You want the amp to do the work and let the radio have headroom to not be driven hard. It all works together. Clean in equals clean out. This is if I were to have one built that is.
    The RM Italy and uniden 980 do work well together when setup correctly. Just turn the AM power back to about 2 watts and set the modulation to about 95-100%, meaning the radio should swing to about 8 watts on AM mode with a 2 watt carrier on a true pep reading meter. This is a good 1:4 power ratio. And for SSB you can bring power back to about 8 watts and the radio will run cooler. I've one of these radios and will tell you from experience what I have done to help with any heat or other issues. Also if you send it to a good tech they will do all this for you as well as possibly lowering the bias voltage on the radio as well as they can be set a bit high at the factory. These are just things I have researched and learned from owning one of the radios (uniden 980), what works and what doesn't. As far as the amp goes I have never had an RM Italy kl203P, but have seen many of the uniden 980 and that amp paired up together for about 60-80 watts of power on AM. And about 100w on SSB if memory serves me right. This is without driving the piss out of them. Again, heat is the enemy. Also adding a fan to the unit is a good idea!!! Again, hope some of this helps and have a good day!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for all of your help, 222. Thank you Crusher for your help as well. I do have a couple of concerns. One, the radio i am using in my house is a cobra 19 ultra III, otherwise known as bottom of the barrel. No side band. nothing except volume and squelch. I need a new and better radio. i cant afford to buy one right now though. Two, this big Heathkit amp draws a lot of power. this concerns me in two ways. first, I have no circuit in my breaker box that doesnt have a few things on it already. i live in a duplex with my wife and two children. its pretty tight in here. second is my electric bill. right now, i am the only one working. my wife isnt. we just had a baby about 6 weeks ago. she is still trying to find a job. i cant have this big power horse running my bill up. thats why i was thinking that i could sell it and find another linear that wouldnt be so hard on my light bill and maybe have enough money left over from that to get myself a better radio than the 19 ultra 3. What do you guys think?
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That is up to you. If you are going to sell the amp, get a good antenna and a radio. The uniden 980 can be had for just over $100 shipped to you. For about $400 you could have a pretty good antenna, radio, small amp, power supply. Not sure what the going price is on those amps, but I would think it would be pretty close to $400. I could be wrong though. Even getting a radio and a good antenna will help a bunch!!! JMHO's.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Go on utube BBI has video on that amp

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This amp need a driver some time they are converted to 220 in stead of 110

Sent from my SM-G530T1 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks Mark!

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    JMHO, but stay away from BBI, he is a snake oil salesman. But that is JMHO. I'll let and see what some others have to say. Maybe JJD will comment as well to his antics and ripoff tactics!!! Or you can watch it yourself. Read up on data sheets for the transistors he is using and then look at the numbers he claims to get. Then your eyes will open wide!! But hey that is JMHO. What the heck do I know!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Crusher (09-22-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am going to drive the amp with my HYS KL-300. It puts out about 75 watts on low power.

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That will work!

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1776-Heathkit-SB-200-not-modded-or-altered-Wanting-to-use-on-11-meter

sb-200 cb radio