Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heathkit SB-200 not modded or altered. Wanting to use on 11-meter

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Heathkit SB-200 not modded or altered. Wanting to use on 11-meter

i have a Heathkit SB-200 linear that has not been modded in any way. I want to use it on my cb. half the info i have read online tells me that it will operate just fine in the 10-meter position, the other half says it has to be modded. i am honestly scared to just hook it up and try it without knowing what im doing. any at all info would be greatly, greatly appreciated. Thanks DXer's!!!
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Anyone at all? I'd really like to use this amp. I just don't know what needs to be done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Keep the input low. Keep the dead key into amp as well as PEP wattage low. Tune and load it for 11m. And give it a try. If it's able to go to 10m, it should work on 11m. I am no amp expert and don't own one of them, but have seen many Yaseu FT101's converted and the matching amps used as well on 11m. As far as I know the amp didn't have to be modded. Before you go doing anything, use Google and see what comes up. Just sayin. But I would venture to say it would work. Like I said, keep the input to a minimum. JMHO.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

mattsowders1989 (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks 222! The input is dead keying at 5 watts. The problem is, I can't get the amp to kick in and when I do key up, the meddle pegs out in the RF PWR position. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I saw one person who mentioned a key relay mod. I don't really know what that is. I have always used solid state amps.

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes, you may have to use a key relay mod. I saw that mentioned on doing some research. You'll need a good amp tech for that if you aren't familiar with that amp. It's an HV amp and can kill you!! So don't stick your hands in it!! I would take it out of line if it's not keying up and don't damage it. JMHO.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    10-4. I have a guy close to me that specializes in amps and other CB radio equipment. I decided to drop it off to him. Thanks for all the pointers and guidance.

Happy DXing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-15-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries, hope it gets resolved and what is needed to be used the way you want to!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Also try lowering the input power from 5 watts to 2 watts and see if it makes any difference. Don't stay on the key too long. Just a quick check. And don't tune and load it for max power either. Baby it and see what happens. Might correct the issue, may not. It may need the relay mod done to work correctly and some other work as well. I've seen conflicting reports as to how they will work, so truly don't stay on the key long if it goes to full power when you key it up. But if you want, try lowering your dead key on the radio or use a radio like a cobra 29 or a uniden grant or similar and get the dead key down to about 2 watts. I don't know what radio you are using to drive it with, but you might just need a regular CB/SSB radio to make it work. Or the relay mod done. I just think that if you have a regular CB radio to try that. Keep the power at stock levels. Like 2-4 watts of dead key max and 8-10 watts of swing pep. And see what it does. You will need a relay mod if you are using a radio like a Yaseu ft101 or something. Again, not sure as you didn't say what radio you are using to run it with. But keeping the input power down might help. And I mean getting the carrier or dead key closer to 2 watts or so. Just enough to key the amp. And see what happens. But if you are in KY, there are a couple of great amp techs that I can name off the top of my head that can help you for sure. One is on this forum that I know of, and possibly the other as well. Both are from KY, and know their stuff about amps. And like I said, don't you go putting your hands in it if you don't know exactly what you are doing as that one will kill you faster than you can react!!!! JMHO's. Again, I hope that you get it resolved!! Have a good one.
    222 Daytona Beach, FL
    saying 73 and God Bless.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm using a cobra 19 ultra 3. It's a junky radio but it's really all I have to use inside the house that works. It dead keys at 1 watt and swings to about 7. I have one guy I'm thinking about taking the radio to tomorrow. But I would love to hear your references opinions as well.
    Believe me. I'm not touching the inside of that amp. Not with those tubes.

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have you tried using that radio with the amp? It may work. Worth a simple try. Even though that radio may seem like junk, it's a great radio for testing and they actually work quite well on AM. Don't be fooled by the size! Again, leave the radio where it is, at 1w dead key and see if it will key the amp. Don't worry so much about power readings as in getting big numbers. This is just to verify that the amp will infect work with a lower output and dead key, that being 1 watt. JMHO. But like I said before, don't stay on the key too long!! Hope this helps and keep us posted. And be safe!!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1776-Heathkit-SB-200-not-modded-or-altered-Wanting-to-use-on-11-meter

sb-200 cb radio