preps
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homemade quarter-wave ground plane base antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all of the info guys!!!! I will tinker and post my results!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I love my vector 4K Jay! It absolutely rocks for what it is! I did some minor mods to mine and it appears to be holding up well in the FL weather. And as far as performance goes, it's a great antenna IMO. Others may say different. But hey we all have our own likes and dislikes about antennas. As far as baluns are concerned, I tried one on my vector 4000 and it didn't work well. Took it off and with an analyzer was able to get a flat match. R=50, X=0, VSWR= 1:1. Not too shabby!! And it does a darn good job for me.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hello 222DBFL: I have owned and modified several of the Sigma 4 antennas but not the foreign Vector 4000 antennas, which I hear needs internal reinforcement. I helped install a French Made Sigma 4 Look a like antenna many years ago, for a blind friend. After a light wind it was permanently left as to look blown over at a terrible angle. Replaced it with a used Penetrator 500 antenna that I had in a pile in the back yard. Friends have asked for their Sigma 4 antennas to be reinforced and modified, when time allows.

The thing I have been trying to say here about the 1 to 1 Current Balun is yeah its not a impedance matching device, but converts unbalance to balanced currents, and chokes off currents trying to travel down the outside of the coax. But it has been interpreted as a impedance matching device due to its being installed on balanced antennas ( Yagi Quad and Diploe type antennas ) and making it work much better, bring the low SWR frequency in place and lowering the measured SWR. All due to proper RF Energy feeding the balance antenna properly. Wow my key board it getting hot...

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jay Mojave For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (09-27-2016), BOOTY MONSTER (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I did mod my vector 4000 a little. Nothing special. Just added about 8" or so of HD heat shrink to every joint from top to the bottom, and also instead of side mounting it to my mast, I slid it down over my mast pipe so as it's not off to the side. Less stress on the antenna I believe. This coupled with adding many Dacron and paracord ropes at about 8ft from the base of the antenna has helped tremendously. It's seen some nasty weather and some darn good wind gusts this past summer and it still looks like new. I did also take the time to use NO-OX on the entire antenna as well. Just a very light coat on the entire thing, this does nothing for strength, but has kept any corrosion from happening. Like I said, the antenna still looks pretty new as far as I can tell. I used good coax, Andrew LMR400 and also wether proofed it the right way. And I have had zero issues with it. It's been up for about 2 years now which isn't very long to some, but I promise it has seen its share of bad weather and I even thought a few times that it would be destroyed. Not the case. It has held up great and continues to make me contacts both locally and out in DX land. Anyways, just my experience with the Sirio vector 4000. Yes it can use some modding and could definitely be beefed up, but for what it is, it has been one heck of a good vertical antenna for me anyways. Thanks for all the responses and also pointing out the balun deal. I always am learning and that is what keeps me going!! Again, thx.
    73 to you and yours and God Bless from 222 Daytona Bch., FL.
    Sean.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (09-30-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    How's it going BOOTY MONSTER. Been a while since I have seen you around or even spoken with you. Hope all is well and thx for responding. You know way way more than I do about antennas!!! That I know is a fact!!
    I am using the Sirio vector 4000 with a couple of simple mods I did to it and it has held up through a pretty rough summer here around central FL. It's one heck of a vertical antenna. But that is JMO. I know many say they are weak. And I would have to agree, they could use some modding in specific places to strengthen them up. But other than that they are a great vertical antenna IMO. What's your take on them?? Just curious.
    i'm doing very well , thanks for asking . hope you are also . had my gastric bypass in april 2015 and i'm in the 230's now and hope to stay under 250 . had my knee replaced 3 months ago and that has gone very very well ! so i'm doing really great !

i'm a huge fan of the vector 4000 type antennas . i was so concerned about the durability of it's construction , there were many comments about it flailing in winds and breaking so i decided to try to build my own and it is a beast physically ! electrically it should be the same potential as you'rs or any other antenna of this design . i built a few dipoles , 1/4 wave ground planes , a few variations of 5/8 -.64 wavelength antennas and this vector did perform better , not night and day but better . haven't had it up for a few years , but i'm keeping it because i hope to get back up at some point . here's a link to my build ......

http://www.cbjunkies.com/threads/66-...-4-vector-4000

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Homemade quarter-wave ground plane base antenna

Love my vector 4000. It has done me well for the past couple years!! And with some simple mods it has stood up to some nasty storms. I live in Central FL and we have had our share of crappy weather this past summer. I didn't build mine like yours is, but some simple mods like HD heat shrink on every joint from top to bottom and also mounting it not onto the side of my mast pipe but down over it making it straight instead of adding
    more pressure to mount it has done an excellent job. Yes I though very much that it would fail, but be darned if it doesn't take a licking and keep on ticking! Just like a timex LOL!! Anyhow, glad to hear you are well and that your health is getting better!! Not many understand I suppose bow well the Sirio vector 4000 can work if you take the time to do some simple things to sturdy it up. I also used NO-OX on the entire antenna minus the SO-239. This has kept it nice and shiny and looking like new for a while now. Little things do help and I am happy to have one of these antennas. They rock and man will they put out a signal and receive one as well! With mine only being 27ft to the base. I am able to Talk out to about 70 miles consistently locally and at times double that! Not shabbby for only being as high as it is off the ground to the base (27ft). Anyhow m, glad to see I'm not the only one that thinks they are a good antenna. Wish I had the skills like you to build one like you did. But I am happy with what i have. Anyhow. Again, glad to hear you are doing better and hope to one day catch you on air!!
    222 Daytona Beach, FL saying 73 and God Bless.
    Sean.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-28-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey 222,
    I'm worried about VSWR now that you have mentioned it. I have a drake MN2700 that has a 10 meter position. I have tried to look up online on how to use it and what to do but I can't find anything helping me with 11 meter. I'm somewhat new with the CB world and just need some help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    This is what i have:

Attachment 2226
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    sorry that its upside down
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Give me some time on this one Matt. I am currently trying to get all my ducks in a row due to the hurricane that is about to hit us around Daytona Beach, FL, where I live only about 3-4 miles from the coast. So I apologize if I don't respond back sooner. I just have too much going on at the moment. Hopefully Crusher or BOOTY MONSTER will see the post and be able to help sooner than I can. I'll have to do some research on that amp to see if it's capable of being used on 11 meters. It most likely is, but you don't want to take any chances. Like o said, give me a few days as I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to make sure my antenna and all other stuff around my house will survive if we get a direct or near direct hit which seems pretty imminent at the moment!! Wish me luck!!!

Visitors found this page by searching for

two kw 6 58 base antenna homemade