preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which amp

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes variable power would be good as you could use it to make the amp key up to the proper power level of about 50 watts max carrier on AM. PEP wattage should be about 8-12 watts or so. On SSB you could most likely get away with 12-20 watts PEP max. If you don't want to mess with variable power, get your dead key set to about 1.5-2 watts max carrier on AM. It's hard to tell how much power is needed to get to the 50 watt max key up wattage on AM. But from experience with my amp, about 2 watts swinging to about 8-10 watts worked well for me on AM, and about 12-15 watts on SSB. Like I said earlier the key is to not overdrive the amp. Good luck and have fun with the amp. And again, make sure your antenna system is 100%. Get it best you can before adding the amp in line. Remember garbage in equals garbage out. Keep it clean and mean!!!!
    73 and God Bless

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    purchased a tnt amp and it is great. Just wondering if any of you have any thoughts on Telstar electronics amps. Any replies would be appreciated. They look good. Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which amp

Not sure about the Telstar amps. Don't like the fact they are built with plastic cases if he is still doing that. I'd rather have a metal case amp. Never seen an amp in a plastic case. Just doesn't seem right. But hey I could be wrong. The TNT amp you have can be made to be a class AB Biased amp with thermal tracking. Just have to know the right amp tech to send it to. Keep the input drive to proper levels and the TNT amp will work just fine. JMHO.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks. I think i'll use the tnt as is for awhile. Have my antenna on the ground for new coax and rebuilding the rotor. If I understand you wouldn't you be better off with a larger amp run to proper levels for what you want? For example if i want 150 watts maximum, wouldn't a 500 watt just loafing at 150 amps be better than a smaller 250 amp pushing to get 150 be better for amp life and a clean signal? This is just a question i am curious about as i am happy with the tnt. Thanks again

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which amp

Yes and no. A 4 transistor amp would definitely load along. But the 350hd you have will produce the power you need. With a good antenna setup, 100 watts will get the job done just fine. It takes 4 times the power to make an S-unit of difference to the receiving station. So if you are doing 200 watts that means you would have to jump to 800 watts to get a real jump to a receiving station. After that you would need 3200 watts to get another s-unit.
    Having the best antenna setup you can is the key to making contacts. If you can accomplish this you will find that you can load the TNT amp you have along at like 100-150 watts and not strain it at all. Just keep the input to the proper levels per the data sheet of the transistors being used. Don't overdrive the amp and it will last a long time!! But like I said, without a good antenna setup you are just pissin in the wind. JMHO's. Get your antenna setup right and you'll find that making contacts becomes a lot easier. Again, JMHO.
    You could get the TNT 600hd, but like I said, it won't make that much difference on the receiving end. You need a 6-8 pill amp to really make a difference.
    Take your time installing your antenna and use quality coax and connectors and proper grounding and such and you'll be good to go.
    Have a good one and be safe putting up that antenna. I am getting close to placing my Sirio vector 4000 back up at about 30-36ft to the base. That will place the tip at about 60ft. Not too shabby. Anyhow. Again, be safe and have a good one.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1807-Which-amp