preps

Thread: Pre Antenna Instal

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Pre Antenna Instal

I have seen many stories about water getting into antennas that turns out not being a good thing .So I'm wondering if painting the joints with Flex Seal ( as seen on TV ) would be a bad thing ? I only had mobile antennas in the past and when they went bad I just got a new one. That being said I only want go up on the roof once. So what do you think ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    From my experience, moisture and/or water getting into the coax is what you should be more worried about. I assume you have an aluminum pipe style antenna? Cap off the ends and open areas and you should be ok. Silicon the connection of the coax to the antenna.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

Squirrel Slayer (12-20-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have used HD heat shrink on all the joints of my antennas before. The kind with the glue inside. It works well and does keep the moisture out. Like Matt stated, the feed point connection should be weather proofed properly. That is where you will have most of your issues. That is unless you have somehow made a hole in the sheath of your coax. The use of good tape and also self amalgamating tape will help prevent moisture from getting to your connection. It takes some time to do it right, but the rewards are well worth the effort. Just my experience with antennas and installs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What's up Sean? Long time no Tapatalk! That SPT500 is still whooping tale. 1200 watts too!!! Hope to hear you on the air ways soon! DX has been little to zero but maybe it'll come back soon. I don't have access to transmit on LSB or USB right now but I do have a receiver to listen to it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have had the aluminum antenna pieces anodized on the ends to insure good clean contact and resistance to corrosion. Water seepage is normal and condensation is part of that. Not allowing any water into the joint is desirable but not attainable. heatshrink is fine but the glued types get very hard when exposed to the sun and damage can occur during removal. Coax ends are easy too, just wrap with electricians tape and slather on the silicone sealant. Easy to remove too, just slit the tape and peal back.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey there Matt. It is funny you speak of your antenna. There has been much talk about the spt500 on another forum. It may very well be the next antenna I put up! Not that my vector 4000 is a bad antenna, but it appears that the SPT500 has some good qualities that may be of good to me!! As in the weather! Always had to worry about the vector 4000 when it got crappy out due to its length. But let's just say with all that I have seen lately and the models of the SPT500 is is a good antenna for sure. And yes I do hope to one day catch you on air as well. If/when the DX should pick up!! Have a good one Matt. And the rest of you fine gents as well. Happy Holidays and God Bless.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None