preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooops!!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wooops!!!!!!!!

So, yesterday I took a short drive to the local CB guru's shop to have him look at a couple of radios I have and see what he had hanging around the shop.
    Well I came home with my 2 radios and an extra that I really had not planned to buy.

Lesson- Don't go to the CB shop with more money than needed for radio repairs!

I don't like the covers and am looking for replacements. Has an upgraded final with a big heat sink on the back and variable power.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to FATKAT For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (12-19-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How it always works...That's one reason I'm "Glad" CB City in Tyler TX. went out of business... Every time I went in that place to get something like a $39 Microphone, I usually came out with a new radio, and 3 to 400 dollars less in my wallet...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (12-19-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yea, I did go kind of looking for another radio just not that one. I have been looking for covers for it but can't find any so I reached out to the guru to see if he has any and I may have to go back over in the next few days. I do hope he has some stock covers though!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Check ebay? Usually there's some listed.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (12-21-2016)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Check ebay? Usually there's some listed.
    Yea, that's what I thought but have had no luck there so far.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    So I set the radio up in the house and ran it as a base. I was amazed at how quiet the receive was on this radio compared to the 980SSB. I got reports that it was very clear and I was running the KL203 with it.

So today instead of rain that was predicted it was sunny and mid 70's so I went about putting the radio in my truck. This is what I came up with using stuff I had around the house. Its way to high so I will lower it next week with a shorter pipe. Then maybe I will dress it up a little.
    It is not nearly a quiet in the truck as it was in the house.

Also today Santa Clause came and brought me some toys. Now I need Bigger Wire and an education

I don't know why the one phot is turned sideways.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You might want to do some bonding to the vehicle with some ground straps. Also adding a noise filter to the radio and also at the alternator will help with the noise. Take the negative and take it to a seat frame bolt or under the dash around the steering column. You can also add some ferrite chokes both at the feed point of the antenna and also one for your external speaker. Just make sure you get the correct mix or the correct ferrite chokes I should say for the frequencies being used.
    As for wire, Walmart, West Marine, or any stereo shop will have good wire. For the amps you have, I would look into #2-#6AWG fine strand wire. Make sure that the negative wire is as large as the positive. And don't forget a good online fuse at the battery. Also good coax will really make a difference here. I like to use LMR240, and LMR240UF. And as far as bonding goes an easy place to start is the exhaust to frame. They sell the kits at most auto parts stores. These are just some things to think about. You may already have most of it, but it never hurts to remind. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    73 and God Bless.
    Hope some of this info might help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't know why the pics came in upside down LOL. Here they are again, writing right side up as to be able to read it.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok, so here is what I have now. A standard 16g 3 pin radio connector lead with a fuse at the radio on the positive wire. I solder connected this to 12g wire and ran the positive wire to the positive side of the fuse box under the hood where power feeds into the box. The negative wire is run to where the battery has a small wire grounding to the core support.

All my radios so far have picked up a good amount of noise from the vehicle. I have not installed any bonding straps anywhere. The noise picked up was constant and did not change with engine rpm. Another Note- My alternator may be going out. Lately and randomly I will get low voltage warnings, mostly early am on cold mornings. It only happens for a few moments and "Bobs You Uncle" it stops and no issue until the next cold morning. I have checked and cleaned all connections that I can easily get to, battery terminals etc.…

So, a couple of questions 1) The Ferrite Choke goes on just the positive wire or around both +/-? 2) The noise filters come in different amperages. So just go with the larger Amp unit? 3) Where will this go in line? 4) If Iinstall an amp in the vehicle should I add these items to its circuit?

I have way too many questions about this to go on and on about.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Last edited by FATKAT; 12-25-2016 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Go directly to the battery with the positive wire. You can most likely stay with the #12awg as long as the run isn't too long. Then take the ground and make it short as possible, taking it either under the dash to a steering column bolt or a seat bolt. Something that goes to the frame. You should notice a difference by just doing that. Also adding a good noise filter in line won't hurt on the positive wire and ground. Add a fuse block at the battery with a 10 or 20 amp fuse and leave your fast blow fuse at the radio in line as well. The one at the battery is for a short or surge close to the battery. Hope this helps man.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

FATKAT (12-25-2016)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None