preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Variable RF power mod for Cobra 142 GTL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have a cobra 29 in the car. I already put variable power on it. It's pretty simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    im trying to figure out what coil to solder to though. i see the circut i need to break but i dont know about the coil
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Did you try the mod at VR6 Matt. Look at the last pic I posted. Shows a trace being broken at VR6 and then being placed there. You could add your variable power there couldn't you? Be like adding the resistor there but your variable instead. I could be wrong so look into this more before you dive in. Hope you find a way to add it. Be safe and have fun. That is what its all about!! And keep it clean and mean!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The mod does go at VR6 but a variable kit has 3 points. 1 and 2 will be in the break of your power VR. 3 will be tapped into the coil. I'm just not sure witch coil. I'm honestly surprised that no one has ever posted a how to for the cobra 142

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-17-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me ask this. Do you see any coils on the board that resemble the ones one the cobra 29? I don't think it has those coils. I think you take the 3 wires, 2 terminate the break at VR6 and complete that circuit again. The black wire can then be soldered onto a tuning can. One of the metal ones. That is unless you have something different or more parts. But from what I have seen and searched for, which has been a little while, I can't find any other way to do it. Won't hurt to try. Do it without power and use a meter and make sure it works when you install the 2 wires, with the 3rd one soldered to a can. Might just work. Then power the radio up and see if it works okay. You may have resistors or other parts. Just add them as directed and take the black wire, which I am assuming you have, which I could be wrong, and take it to a tuning can and solder it.
    Like I said, I did look for this mod and it's all I could find for your radio. The cobra radios do show a wire going to coils, L11 or L15 which is what the cobra 29 uses. Same for the uniden 68 and 78. Anyways. If no one answers the question for you, might want to give the way I found a try. Every dog has his day LOL.
    I hope you get it installed and working whether I am right or wrong, just want to see you get it done man. I know it's been done. Good luck and hopefully someone will get it to you!!!
    73 and God Bless
    222 Daytona Beach, FL
    Sean

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    never cut tracks looks bad and can cause problems and is not cosmetically reversible so why not just lift the leg of VR6 where the track to be cut goes neatness counts hope this helps.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Cut the trace, it is easily bridged with small wire and solder if needed. Done neatly it wouldn't even be seen, you don't need to gouge a canyon in the board.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why cut a track when you can just unsolder a leg of the potentiometer? much easier and neater of course thats just one mans opinion.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1815-Variable-RF-power-mod-for-Cobra-142-GTL

super modulation swing kit cobra 142

cobra 142 gtl power mods

adding varible cobra 142cb rf modspeak and tweak 142 gtl cb radiocobra 142 gtl peak and tune