preps
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Advice Needed For A Reasonable Home Base Setup

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The IMAX 2000 is an antenna like the A99. It is longer and with the addition of the Ground Plane Kit it makes for a better antenna overall due to it being so much taller. From approx. 18ft which is how long the A99 is, versus the IMAX 2000, which is 24ft tall. Also make sure to get a good isolating balun, stay away from the MFJ products, they aren't very well made.
    And again, if you have neighbors close by make sure that your antenna is up as high as you can get it as well as making sure you are putting out a clean signal. Another good piece of equipment is a good Low Pass Filter. The RF Limited DF3000 Low Pass Filter is a good one for the money. If you cake find a used Drake or Bencher. They are good ones too and can be found on Craigslist as well as a lot of other things you might need to set up a base station. Buy the radio new as well as the coax. Other things you can get off CL. That is JMO. There is a lot to setting up a proper base station and to make it work at its best. Yes you can throw one together and be on the air, no doubt. But it most likely won't work as good as someone that took their time and got all the necessary equipment needed. These are all JMHO's. I'm sure Matt will explain this to you. Be safe and again, don't rush things. The DX cycle is going to be pretty dead for a while!! Best best is to find some locals!!
    73 and God Bless
    222 Daytona Bch., FL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    And please don't think I am trying to be rude. That is truly not my intention.
    Just want to help you get the most bang for your buck. One place you don't want to skimp is the antenna system.
    Antenna, coax, connectors, and so one, will be the key to a good base setup. Also a good ground system, surge protection, and a clean signal producing signal radio. Power supplies are all over the place. I have a 36 amp MegaWatt power supply, and my radio is an Icom 746. It uses about 20-25 amps. And I have never had an issue with power or amperage. The 30 amp model is a good buy as well. Just food for thought.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Good info Sean. I agree. Antenna system and how it's set up is crucial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Following up on our phone conversation last night,
    This is a simplified little diagram that shows you how what you are wanting should be ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-12-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you for the information guys I appreciate it !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No worries sir. Will help as much as I can!! And like I said before. Whatever you do, don't and I repeat, don't skimp out on the antenna and related parts. It will make or break the way you make contacts both locally and in DX land. A $10k radio and a POS antenna makes for a nice $10k door stop!! This is JMO. But I would spend as much as you can on the antenna setup. Get the best antenna you can afford. Not one to just get on air. You won't be happy if you do it that way. I know I wasn't satisfied until I got a good antenna up. I use a Sirio vector 4000. It's almost 28ft long and will talk quite a ways locally and does awesome DX'ing. These are JMHO's, but I think most will agree with what I am saying. Again, please be safe with everything you do or have done. And ask as many questions as needed. The only dumb question is the one not asked.
    Have a good day to all and 73 and God Bless.
    222 Daytona Beach, FL
    Sean

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you are truly in need of help and have little money, look around the forums for radios for sale. And also like I said before, check your local CL.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None