preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HOA says no external antenna... Looking for advice

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'd really prefer something that doesn't draw any attention. That's why I'm mainly looking into inverted vees, or something in the attic.

With only 5 feet of vertical clearance in the attic, I'd need some rather short firesticks for anything vertical.

Also, since something in the attic would be transmitting through overlapping inch thick concrete tiles, I'd really like to know if CB radios can even transmit through concrete before I go get a pair of 2 foot antennas, or rig up a pair if 5 feet in an L shape, or try some super fancy indoor base antenna...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't mess with 2ft antennas. It's a waste of time and money. Might as well be using 2 coat hangers. Antennas need length to work right. A real 11 meter cb band antenna measured about 102"-108" long, depending on the frequency desired to be the resonant point of the antenna. Which means where the antenna tunes at best with proper readings on an antenna analyzer. You shouldn't need an analyzer, but will need an external power/watt meter to get the VSWR tuned to an acceptable range. The longer the antenna physically, as that is what counts, not what some sales gimmick says. There is no such thing as a physical 5/8 wave length antenna for mobile use. Yes they claim 5/8 wave antennas with them being 5ft or shorter, but they are using wire wound antennas to make up for the actual physical length of a 5/8 wave antenna. A real 1/4 wave antenna is the 102"-108" whip, or whip/ball mount and spring setup to get close to 108" physically as that is what makes a 1/4 wave mobile antenna. You could run 2 5ft fire sticks I an Inverted V configuration and most likely would have enough room. Place the top the V as high as possibly and get the antennas themselves at a decent angle to one another and you should be good. But don't use anything shorter than a 4ft firestick or you are just wasting your time and effort. 5ft would be what I would look at and try to make work in an Inverted V configuration. It's possible. The antennas won't be like the ones in the pic, but they would look more like an Inverted or upside down V. Hope some of this might help and have a good one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Let me try and find an Inverted V dipole in an attic. Could you use 5ft firestick antennas then?? If so that would be the great. The 5ft long firestick antennas appear to be a pretty popular antenna for the attic installs with not a whole lot of room.
    Let me find a pic of the bracket that someone made for using an Inverted V In the attic. Looks like what was used was 2 stud mounts, and a piece of steel strap with 3/8" holes in it. You can see the rest and hopefully get an idea as to what you need and how to make it. You want to keep the legs anywhere from 60-120 degrees. You can hang it up on the peak of the inside of the roof with a coat hanger. Seen that done as well. Or do like the one in the photo and place it as high as possible. Hope this one helped more than the first one.
    And like I said before. Stay away from anything shorter than 4-5ft long as far as the antennas go. I think Wilson might make a similar antenna as the ones used in the pics. But I am pretty sure those are firestick antennas. Either wjll work.
    Have a good day and hope you get something figured out.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Don't mess with 2ft antennas. It's a waste of time and money. Might as well be using 2 coat hangers. Antennas need length to work right. A real 11 meter cb band antenna measured about 102"-108" long, depending on the frequency desired to be the resonant point of the antenna. Which means where the antenna tunes at best with proper readings on an antenna analyzer. You shouldn't need an analyzer, but will need an external power/watt meter to get the VSWR tuned to an acceptable range. The longer the antenna physically, as that is what counts, not what some sales gimmick says. There is no such thing as a physical 5/8 wave length antenna for mobile use. Yes they claim 5/8 wave antennas with them being 5ft or shorter, but they are using wire wound antennas to make up for the actual physical length of a 5/8 wave antenna. A real 1/4 wave antenna is the 102"-108" whip, or whip/ball mount and spring setup to get close to 108" physically as that is what makes a 1/4 wave mobile antenna. You could run 2 5ft fire sticks I an Inverted V configuration and most likely would have enough room. Place the top the V as high as possibly and get the antennas themselves at a decent angle to one another and you should be good. But don't use anything shorter than a 4ft firestick or you are just wasting your time and effort. 5ft would be what I would look at and try to make work in an Inverted V configuration. It's possible. The antennas won't be like the ones in the pic, but they would look more like an Inverted or upside down V. Hope some of this might help and have a good one.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by RChaos View Post
    I'd really prefer something that doesn't draw any attention. That's why I'm mainly looking into inverted vees, or something in the attic.

With only 5 feet of vertical clearance in the attic, I'd need some rather short firesticks for anything vertical.

Also, since something in the attic would be transmitting through overlapping inch thick concrete tiles, I'd really like to know if CB radios can even transmit through concrete before I go get a pair of 2 foot antennas, or rig up a pair if 5 feet in an L shape, or try some super fancy indoor base antenna...
    One way to find out if radio waves will go threw the tiles or not, would be to take a portable AM radio up there and see if you can pick up stations as loud as you can outside of the house...AM radio waves work the same way CB radio waves work since they are all AM...I don't see there being a problem...If you had a metal roof, that might be a different story.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (02-04-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If you're in a newer area with underground power lines, and if the CC&Rs don't specifically address balloons, I'd take up the hobby of Open-House-TYPE balloon flying, you know, like kite flying. Who's to say what the string is made from, or whether or not it's metallic.

Some of those open house balloons fly above 100' out here, but you'd play hell trying to get a stable signal on a windy day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Google OTARD. It is a Federal law that preempts State, Local Law, and Neighborhood covenants. While it does not include CB antennas, it does give you some options. Put your tower up with a TV antenna on top of it. Let them challenge that, and then you show them the law. Then put your antenna up after that.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How tall is your attic space?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Several Hams I know also live in a hoa neighborhood. they solved this no outside antenna crap with a Flag Pole Antenna.
    several companys make them and I have heard good reports on them. FYI.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are even some models to resemble a pine tree. Dishes can be hidden under fiberglass rocks.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1842-HOA-says-no-external-antenna-Looking-for-advice

attic cb antenna