preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here is something new to me...and strange.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is something new to me...and strange.

Ok. I will be moving in a couple of weeks and eventually setting up a base station. I plan on using a 102" whip or a homemade di-pole..simple so far. I was recently shown this devise (should have taken a pic) and this device attaches to the base of the whip itself and then to the antana stud. This little device has three (4" long) radials protruding from it all evenly spaced. I was then told to unscrew the three radial and put three 102" whip in their place to eliminate need for the ground plane coming off of the mounting bracket. This makes no sense to me as the signal would be the same as the signal from the vertical whip....and was wondering if anyone else has seen or heard of this...any input will help. I am new to the sight and noticed there are plenty here who know more than me. I have been into cb ssb for quite awhile....but don't know it all. Thanks in advance.........427 in Omaha......standing by

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    who ever told you that ..... don't listen to them anymore about antennas .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok.....good enough for me....like I said it sounded like horse hockey to me.....as the wrong signal would be emitted from those radials.......thanks for the input!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What that modification is supposed to do is increase your signal strength. Instead of the short stubby posts that are supposed to be ground radials, you substitute some 102 inch whips. This enhances the ground wave and should also improve the SWR.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok....so one guy says this is not a modification to the antana....another says it will lower swr and improve/enhance ground wave.....any other input? Just for the record....the guy told me that this eliminates need for actual ground radials that connect to the shield side of the coax.....thank you all....i am learning as I go

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I talk to a local regularly who has a home made 102 SS whip vertical with four horizontal 102 whips as ground planes. The design is very similar to a 5/8 ground lane in appearance, but works very well. Be careful what you read. Do your own research on line and make up your own mind.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm thinking it doesn't mater if this design will work or not...EVEN IF replacing those short stubby radials with 102" whips would work, I'm thinking of the cost alone would be stupid to go this route for something that would just be a 1/4 wave ground plane antenna that's (for the most part) non-adjustable... Figure you need 1 102" whip for a stinger, then 3 or 4 more to replace the ground radials with, plus the ground radial thingy...by the time you buy all the parts, you will have spent over $100 just on the necessary parts to make this 1/4 wave antenna...

For less than that, you can buy a MaCo Alpha V5/8 ground plane antenna and be done with it...
    https://www.copper.com/cart/Antennas...8-Base-Antenna

Unless there's some reason you can't use a 20' antenna that is certain to get you herd, I can't imagine why you would rather go with something that's going to be "if'y" at only 9'....
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 07-23-2017 at 04:02 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for all the input on this matter....i do appreciate it.....i will do my homework somemore after I move this week and hopefully talk with you guys on the sidebands..........427 omaha nebraska..standing by

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "The ultimate Guide to 11 Meter Antennas" is a good place to stat your homework. The one you like may well do the job but it says "tunable from 26-46 MHz". It does not tell you that without a tuner you may not be on the mark. So enjoy the hunt, be well and hope to hear you on 38L/39L. 73s.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Old Sailor For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-06-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Ok....after all of the input and shopping arround I have decided to go with either my 102"whip with 108"radials I will make from the multitudes of heavy copper wire or copper tubeing I have laying arround....and will be able to put the antana tipappx.19'in the air......or if I need to i will build and run a horizontal dipole.....wich I can also run as a V or at an angle....thank you all the input helped me stay away from spending any unnecessary money....i will possible buy a better antana In the future...hope to speak to you all soon from my base...til then I will try with my mobile....427....standing by........

Visitors found this page by searching for

None