preps

Thread: Headache Rack Antenna install

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Headache Rack Antenna install

I would like to mount a CB in my work truck. I realize that center of the roof would be the best

HOWEVER

I dont want to drill a hole AND I really dont like magnetic mounts

SO

I would like to install an Antenna on my headache rack. Looks wise one side or the other would be better, but would I gain anything by having it in the center. How much will mounting it on my headache rack affect the ground plane and reception / transmitting?

Thank you very much for your knowledge and expertise. Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't have mine mounted on a headache rack, it's on a steal bar that I mounted in the bed as a riser to get the antenna roof level... works just fine...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply - what kind of antenna are you running?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by uscarry45 View Post
    Thanks for the reply - what kind of antenna are you running?
    One in the picture is a Monkey Made "Big John"...but I have a Predator 10K on it right now.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    @ JJD: Did you have to bond that riser to the frame, or just bolt it to the bed? Newer model GM trucks seem to have issues with getting a good rf gnd in my experience.
    Last edited by Mike5511; 12-24-2017 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike5511 View Post
    @ JJD: Did you have to bond that riser to the frame, or just bolt it to the bed? Newer model GM trucks seem to have issues with getting a good rf gnd in my experience.
    The bar itself is just bolted to the bed floor...but on the bottom side of the bed I did run a ground strap from the screws that hold down the bar, to the frame, so Yes, it's grounded to the frame...

By the way, most will tell you mounting the antenna this way won't work because of a poor ground plane, not being mounted on the roof....well maybe, however I still manage to shoot skip just fine like this, and only running a small 2-pill Fatboy... So, IMO it works just fine, since people still manage to hear me hundreds of miles away!...not to mention my locals don't have a problem hearing me either...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

dougw181 (12-04-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    The bar itself is just bolted to the bed floor...but on the bottom side of the bed I did run a ground strap from the screws that hold down the bar, to the frame, so Yes, it's grounded to the frame...

By the way, most will tell you mounting the antenna this way won't work because of a poor ground plane, not being mounted on the roof....well maybe, however I still manage to shoot skip just fine like this, and only running a small 2-pill Fatboy... So, IMO it works just fine, since people still manage to hear me hundreds of miles away!...not to mention my locals don't have a problem hearing me either...
    I would think it would still use the roof. Maybe not quite as effective, but how could it not? I'm leaning hard to a roof mount, but this would give you more antenna options and allow experimentation.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Some of the "Experts" (and I use that term lightly) say that the ground plane starts where ever the coax's ground braid is attached, so if it's attached on the roof, then the roof is the ground plane, but if attached to something like a extension bar, then the bar becomes the ground plane, and somehow never sees the roof or doors or anything else you may have done RF Grounding on so those parts all become part of the ground plane...

There was a thread over on wwrf not too long ago where a couple of the "Experts" were basically writing books on this, instead of "posts" to try and back the theory they read or was taught...

Now way I look at it, "If it works...what's wrong with it?" ....Sometimes I cant figure out exactly what some people expect out of a antenna...IMO if you have no problems shooting skip with your set up, or local talking, then apparently something must be set right...

I could go one and on with what these people will try and convince you is the only right-way to do things from installing a radio or antenna, to the wiring, how the only real cb antenna that works is the 102" whip, and so-on, and so-on...Starts to sound like a bunch of left and right winged politicians duking it out on the senate floor...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Mike5511 (12-25-2017)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads1934-Headache-Rack-Antenna-install