preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variable RF power mod for Cobra 142 GTL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Variable RF power mod for Cobra 142 GTL

I've assembled the "swing kits" with a pot for power level before for the cobra 29's but I want to put one on my 142 for AM. Not SSB. The radio has some sort of swing kit in it but I don't know where to look on the board to find it. I know it has one in it because it dead keys at 1.5 watts and swings to 5 watts. If anyone could help me locate this mod and give me some info on how to put in variable power, that would be very helpful. Thanks guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well you could have the AM power tuned down and the modulation turned up as well and you could possibly see that kind of power as well Matt. Not saying the radio doesn't have a swing kit as it may very well have one. Check for a cap and resistor close to the final. There will be a cap on the top side and normally a resistor on the solder side of the board near the final. Hope this might help a little. Have a good one. And let me say it now. I am in no way a tech nor do I claim to be. Just throwing some possibilities out there as to what could be. Again, hope it might help. Good day.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i need variable power. it was my mistake, it has no swing kit in it but i want to put variable power in it. i have the kit assembled but i cant figure out where to put it...
    Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Does anyone know where I need to install the variable mod at?

Happy DXing

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Back near the final. I believe it's JP36 on the cobra 29. Don't quote me on that though. Google has tons of info on it. Just google cobra 29 variable power mod. Here are a couple of pics and description of how and where it goes.

The parts you have may not be the same, but the placement should be on the board. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sorry this is for a cobra 29. Let me see if I can find one for the 142.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Here is a simple pic of how someone did the variable power mod to 8719 board. Looks as if you cut the trace for VR6 which is the AM power pot. Here is the pic.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would think you would just add the variable power mod where they are showing that you add a resistor. Add your variable power mod instead of a resistor in its place.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Again, don't quote me on this. Hopefully someone else will answer as well. This was just with a quick google search. If your radio has the 8719 board, then search google for the mod for that board which is a very popular one. Again, sorry to mislead you with the cobra 29 mods and hope you get it all resolved!! Be careful whatever you do and good luck Matt.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you Sean. I wasn't able to locate anything on the 142. I did not search the board though so I greatly appreciate it. I've about got this radio doing some good broadcasting. It's direct injected. I am running about 75 watts going into a ameritron al-80 with the 500z tube in it. It's peaking out at about 1,000 watts. Dead key is about 200 and the swing goes between 900 and 1,050.

Happy DXing

Visitors found this page by searching for

None