preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Everything I learned over the last 25 years is ....debunked?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Have to agree with JJD. Had a local with a 3 element beat up at 85ft and could talk to whoever he liked around locally out to nearly 100 miles. Just swing it around to where you want it.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-13-2019), JesseJamesDallas (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Smith charts for an antenna will also give you more of an understanding of how an antenna will perform
    nosaj

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (08-06-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Back in the end of the 70's , into the early 80's, A long john 5 element beam mounted horizontal with a big stick in the middle. Didn't matter, you could be heard on either polarization even when only feeding one. The take off angle from the big stick enabled skip on the short hop of 600 miles. A station 40 miles away had a 5 by 5 reading around sunset and sunrise with 25 PEP but took 100 PEP to get reliable daytime over that distance.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Backwoodsman View Post
    I have two horizontal wire dipoles and one sloped dipole out in my back yard for my base and i am not only shooting skip bit I am talkin with locals from 1 to 20 miles away!.....on horizontal antennas mostly. I have been led to understand that on AM or SSB....that a horizontal will not talk to a guy with a vertical antenna localy....but it is happening. Any input?.........
    427 outa Omaha Nebraska....wabin a hand and standing by.......

You may be radiating from the coax feedline whith is acting as a vertical antenna. This is normally due tothe unballanced currents.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is my understanding that you can do it, it's just not efficient. Square peg round hole.
    Atmospheric conditions could be at play also.

nosaj
    N1EBC

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by billengineer View Post
    You may be radiating from the coax feedline whith is acting as a vertical antenna. This is normally due tothe unballanced currents.
    if you're radiating enough signal from your coax for it to act as a vertical antenna you've got some really shitty coax and it needs to be replaced before you damage your transmitter/amp . the shield on coax is designed to keep the signal inside till it reaches the radiator . common mode currents can travel to the shield side of coax and radiate and typically cause problems with other nearby electronics but they don't travel far enough with enough energy to outperform a horizontal dipole or beam .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-09-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Conditions can change the polarization of a transmitted signal. Skip can switch the polarization. A slopped, long wire antenna is best but can become somewhat directional.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None