preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everything I learned over the last 25 years is ....debunked?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Everything I learned over the last 25 years is ....debunked?

I have two horizontal wire dipoles and one sloped dipole out in my back yard for my base and i am not only shooting skip bit I am talkin with locals from 1 to 20 miles away!.....on horizontal antennas mostly. I have been led to understand that on AM or SSB....that a horizontal will not talk to a guy with a vertical antenna localy....but it is happening. Any input?.........
    427 outa Omaha Nebraska....wabin a hand and standing by.......

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Conditions? I too have always been told the same thing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be conditions.....but then again....it is anytime I turn the radio on.......incliding if i have a friend take a mobile and start at my driveway and just drive off in and random dirrection at any time.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes you can use your horizontal dipole for local rag chewing. Just won’t have the distance a vertical antenna at the same height will. I was able to talk to most of my locals that were within 5-10 miles on my dipole which was horizontally setup at about 35-40 feet of the ground. On my vertical antenna I was able to talk out to about 60-70 miles unless the band was just full of DX or a lot of noise. Conditions always play a part in how an where your signal will end up and how far it will allow you talk. But like I said, you most likely won’t get out as well as a vertical antenna would locally. Hope this clears the air up some for you.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yes that helps.....thanx....maybe I will put the little tram up there too....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Backwoodsman For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (11-24-2017)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    FWIU ....... horizontally polarized signals CAN propagate farther because they take better advantage of ground reflection than verticals . and FWIU horizontal beams have less noise/static than vertical beams . lots of documentation and minutia on this if anyone want's to research it . if you mainly want local contacts stick with a vertical antenna . if you want DX contacts the slight directivity of a simple dipole can be an advantage . the biggest beam antenna is simply a dipole antenna with one director and multiple reflectors on a big stick (appropriately spaced of course) . and yes , verticals can do a fine job with skip/long distance contacts ..... budget , taste and other considerations typically decide the routes we take in the RF hobby . most things work , some work better than others and where/how you install them will make differences so everybody won't have the same results , but generalized expectations can be gained from the results of others ........

BTW , any "antenna" will radiate , some better than others , minimizing loss is the name of the game .
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 08-13-2019 at 10:54 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-17-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Why thank you for the -in put.....i will continue to build and expirament. Take care..

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    How well does the slope work, give you some of both?. I just built a dipole and a full wave loop, both going in the air soon as the snow goes here. Have not decided on orientation, built one for a friend 10 miles out so was going to put the dipoles horizontal, thinking if we are both horizontal it would work pretty good, and give us long distance ears as well. The full wave will be moved around a bit, just to try out some things.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Vert is mainly what base and mobile operators have..so you need a vert antenna to receive/talk to them. If your looking for long distance/Skip..you need a horz antenna..one..to get out there(even with a 3 watt radio)..but wit a horz(beam) antenna ...you will lose your locals on vertical. also..if your running any power..it will splatter on AM band on vertical.
    My advise is.. Buy the Best Antenna that You can Afford,good coax, and see the improvement!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero58 View Post
    Vert is mainly what base and mobile operators have..so you need a vert antenna to receive/talk to them. If your looking for long distance/Skip..you need a horz antenna..one..to get out there(even with a 3 watt radio)..but wit a horz(beam) antenna ...you will lose your locals on vertical. also..if your running any power..it will splatter on AM band on vertical.
    My advise is.. Buy the Best Antenna that You can Afford,good coax, and see the improvement!
    Totally not true...I have a MaCo Shooting Star 60' up and talk to locals all the time on it (vertical side)...And also run anywhere from 500 to 0ver 1K watts talking local with no problems what so ever... ONLY down side to using a beam for local talk, is your pretty much only going to be talking to guys on one end of town at a time in the direction the antenna is pointed...Lucky most of the guys I talk to are north, and NW to NE of me and my beam has a broad enough signal pattern to where I can pick up these guys without having to move the antenna...

If I want to talk to someone due east, west or south of me tho then I have to move the antenna.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (08-06-2019), BOOTY MONSTER (08-13-2019)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None