preps

Thread: Setup problems

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Setup problems

Seem to be striking out with Stryker and can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.
    My new SR-955HPC radio and SR-A10 antenna arrived Saturday and my first chance to try it out was this morning.
    Mounted the new antenna on the center of the roof on my 2017 GMC Acadia.
    Have the radio in an aluminum case for my Spectrum DX8 RC airplane transmitter sitting on the front seat of the car.
    I'm using the cigarette lighter plug on the console which is outputting 14.97 volts.
    The new antenna is getting an SWR reading of 3 on channels 1,20 and 40 according to the radios meter, slightly higher on my SWR meter and it doesn't seem to matter how far in or out the whip goes. Tried several locations on the roof of the car all with the same result. Radio is set to AM and band #4.
    Played with all the dials and switches but I get zilch. Can't hear anyone talking and no responses to my transmits.
    Brought along my little Midland hand held and there was plenty of activity on channel 19 radio checks were confirmed on it. Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Make sure the connector on the end of the coax is good. Next check the coax for any pinches or nicks in the coax. Also don’t use the cigarette lighter plug for power for that radio. It’s not near enough amperage for that radio. You should run a #8awg from the battery to the radio and also a good ground from a frame bolt like the seat or under the dash somewhere. Last I would check the antenna mounting and make sure you have mounted said antenna properly or placed the magnet in a place that it has a good amount of metal under it. Sounds as if you have an issue with coax or the radio going into oscillation due to bad ground or lack of good power source. The cigarette lighter plug in most cars are not truly good for a radio install as such. That radio is capable of putting out 60-100 watts of power. Your cigarette lighter plug doesn’t have near the amperage output to handle the load. Just my 2 pennies worth. Hope you get it resolved. Take it one step at a and take your time in doing so. Have a good one.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the feedback 222DBFL,
    First chance I get I'll take my AC power supply and extension cord out to the car and try it. If that works the next step will be to get a 20 amp. tap for the interior fuse box in the vehicle.
    Does this sound like a step in the right direction?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You will need to go straight to the battery and do not use your power supply in the car as the cigarette light plug doesn’t have the amperage needed that make it work correctly. May send Radio into oscillation or even damage it or the light plug itself. I would just run a proper power and ground to the vehicle and then like I said Check All your connections and also that you have a good hold on the magnet mount or hard mount, whichever may be the case. Use #6-#8 AWG fine strand wire. Almost any stereo shop will have this as well as marine shops. Measure how much you need for red positive and also for a proper ground to a frame bolt. Some will say to go back to the battery wit nigh leads. I’ve always found that a solid frame bolt and sanded area with proper lug used makes for a great ground.
    Most of your issues stem from using the cigarette lighter plug. Ditch that thing and make a run to the battery and you will have much better luck i would venture to say. Just take your time and and also take your time when troubleshooting the coax and connectors. Hope this helps and have a blessed evening.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (01-11-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Like 222DBFL said...That radio needs to be wired straight to the battery, with a inline fuse at the battery terminal on the positive wire...You're asking for trouble trying to connect it to the fuse box or cigarette lighter plug.

as for the high SWR...In my experience with a SWR of 3 or more, it's almost always a problem with the antenna or coax connectors shorting...If the antenna just wont try and tune, try a different coax or get a ohm meter and check for short...doubt lack of power to the radio would cause high SWR.

Another cause could be with the antenna mount being assembled wrong allowing the antenna to "ground-out".

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (01-12-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The ground is most important here. Using a single wire from the power source isn't enough, a wire of reasonable gauge needs to be connected directly from the chassis of the radio to a good chassis ground on the vehicle.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None