Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

ground rod resistance vs. depth

interesting video on ground rod resistance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2OtgeDkTLs

5/8 x 10 ft ground rod at lowes . $16
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Galvan-0-62...g-Rods/3488681

what's your opinion on adding ground rods to a base station ? absolutely necessary ? not needed ? and the ever popular , depends .... ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Coming from being a cell site tech and installer, yes a proper ground system is key to a good station and a safe one. You have to do it properly is the key. Reading up on the standard for installing a commercial tower will give you a good idea of how to do things properly for a solid ground system. Lots of variables that can make or break a good ground system.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-18-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Interesting video. I have seen people put 4 or 5 ground rods in the same place. I guess they should be spread apart. How much is really needed I don't know. I need to ground my starduster pole and I am just going to use a single rod. Something is better than nothing.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    bump for new folks asking about grounding

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    more ground rods equals less ohms for a better pathway for electrons to travel. Spacing them three to four feet apart should be sufficient. Use solid core wire not stranded and weld the connection of the wire to the rod if you can, if not make sur its well clamped.
    Last edited by OCme; 12-08-2020 at 09:10 AM.
    Mobile - COBRA 29 LTD Classic NW Custom CB, Super-Tuned, Swing Kit, High Receive, Digital Echo - Astatic 575M-6 Microphone - RM Italy KL-503 - FireStik FS-4BK Antenna
    Base Station - COBRA 29 LTD Classic NW Custom CB, Super-Tuned, Swing Kit, High Receive - Carl Built 2 Pill Base Amp, Iron Core - Ranger SRA 198 Microphone - Solarcon Max 2000 Base Station Antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Proper station grounds should be as close to the transmitter as possible. An 8 foot, copper clad, iron rod, 1 inch in diameter, driven into the ground all but 6 inches. Multiple grounds, spaced 7 feet apart(1/4 wavelength for 11 meters) will work well but in some areas, there can be a difference in the earth potential from ground to ground. I like to use a three foot hole with the rod placed and the hole filled in with rock salt and small pea gravel. Under the right conditions, added water to the hole can bring in some skip.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None