preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need help Selecting Rig and set up.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It all depends on what you want to accomplish. The first thing I would do is to get the best antenna setup I can. Best antenna that you can afford and also good coax and connectors as well. As far as radios go the only thing I will say is that no radio will work well without a good antenna system. As far as radios go, if you are strictly using it for AM use only, the cobra 29 or the undien 880/980 would work well. If you want a radio for more SSB use, get the uniden 980. Stay away from the so called 10 meter radios. If you want t spend upwards of $300 or more, there are lots of radios to choose from. And depending on what mode of operation you talk on most, a ham radio may suit your needs at some point. Cost being one of the main factors as well as performance on AM mode isn’t the best. They shine much better on SSB. Some can be made to sound good on AM, but most are setup for SSB operation as far as the transmit goes. The one most important thing to remember here is that without a proper antenna setup, I don’t care what radio you have and how much power it puts out, you will be a stick in the mud if you skimp out on the antenna setup. JMHO. I would think most would agree. Spend most of your money on a proper antenna setup, including the coax, connectors, and all associated grounding and such. Then look at what radio you truly want. There are a lot of radios to choose from, both new and used, so it pays to look around like on your local CL, and such. And as far as doubling range, the best advice I’ll give you is to get your antenna setup right and you won’t have to worry about doubling your power. But if you want to double range per say, your antenna and conditions will more than likely be the determining factors as to how far you can talk. Yes you can get more range out of a system with an amp, but a good antenna setup to start with will go much farther!! Again, JMHO’s. Hope some of the text wall helps. Also read up on antenna installation and do some research on radios, CB, 10 meter, and ham radios will all do what you want. But for GP, the cobra 29, an older model if possible that hasn’t been hacked up, for AM would be a great start, or something like the uniden 980 with a decent microphone. Again, hope this helps and have a good day.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (01-30-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Again thank you. Learning about radios again is overwhelming at times. So much information and videos out there.
    I will go with the Cobra 29 or Uniden 880. And spend money on the antenna set up.
    I been trying to reach a Ham Operator that tunes radios / antennae, but no reply from him as of yet.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None