preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: hard copper pipe for antenna mount

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I run an a99 on base it has an internal matching coil with adjusting rings. I am amazed, that it works as well or better than many ground planes I've had. except for the Super starburst I had in the early 70s. [ first wife kept that one] I'll keep you posted on my little adventure . retired and getting cabin fever . Funny no one has heard of the elevation thing but me and some older radio heads. might be BS

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    a99 has matching coil

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by bigd View Post
    It is connected, I think you missed my question. I was always told by [ know it alls] that after the base of your antenna, [even if it's a coat hanger] is over 35' off the ground [for 11 meter] , The 105" ground radial [or dipole leg] is no longer important for swr tuning.. But 2 ex wives also told me things that were not true, LOL. Has anyone ever experienced this 35' things. I am a great millwright and gunsmith, but a lousy radio tech. Thanks and have a great day, bigd
    dont listen to those folks about antennas anymore . some antennas will use the coax shield as a ground element and those antennas are typically poor performers . a antenna actually has 2 parts , the radiator (typically called the antenna) and ground elements (typically the mast , vehicle body or actually radials attached to the antenna ) and they need each other to work at their full potential . in my experimenting with building antennas i played around with ground element length a little and i'm a firm believer that on a omni full 1/4 wavelength ground elements do make for a better antenna . yes most can work with shorter elements and some seemingly with none . we each have to decide if our wants and wallet dictate the best antenna we can afford or something less efficient due to cost , install conditions , looks/WAF or amount of kool-aid consumed . and NO ! a more expensive antenna is not always the "best" .

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (02-25-2018), bigd (02-25-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    fOr future reference, I stood it up , and swr was horrible. brought it down and put ar10 mirror mount in yard for sale

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Wasn’t trying to be a smart ass at all when I said what I did a few posts back. I tried something similar to this with a magnet mount antenna and a large steel plate. I can only imagine what the VSWR and impedance were like using that antenna with no metal under it. They like having a large metal roof under them normally and do work very well when applied that way. I had crap luck with my setup this a little like yours and it was used primarily as a RX antenna. At any rate, don’t give up on messing about with antennas and designs. The ones that I know that are easily built are 1/2 wave dipole or vertical, and also a moxon antenna with a bit more work. At any rate keep up the experimenting, it is a lot of fun to build an antenna and make contacts with it!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-02-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well, I got to debunk the 35 ft. wives tail. I have a shoebox full of qsl cards from 70s with a moonraker and a Johnson 250 [that I still have] Trying to not get carried away again, ordered a sirio 5/8 with rdials for the house and will put my big stick on the copper pipe at camp.hopefully I won't be looking for a six element Wilson next week. 3s bigd

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bigd For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (03-01-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    There are many wide tales when it comes to 11m or cb use. The only thing that is true about the 36ft thing is that it’s approx 1 full wavelength above ground for 11m. This is a good starting point for most ads type antenna installs if you are able to achieve this height. Not to say that at 20-30ft doesn’t work as good. Take off angle, obstructions, polarization, antenna placement being horizontal or vertical, and plenty plenty more will determine how and where your signal ends up. The best of both worlds for me was having a good vertical antenna and then to setup 2 1/2 wave dipole at 40-50ft off the ground facing E/W and one N/S. This setup covered most DX and local talk for me! Not to say I wouldn’t have to have had a nice beam antenna. Something in the 8 element range LOL! At any rate, keep up the trial and error and building process. It a great way to learn and also to make contacts in the end. Have a good day and be safe! 73 and God Bless.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-02-2018)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None