preps

Thread: I have a question about skip.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a question about skip.

I'm in WV and I can hear from FL to MO all the way up into Canada just like they're sitting next to me. But for some reason, I can't get anyone to answer me when I call. This didn't happen once it's every time. What's the deal?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Couple of things...1st, most likely your antenna..."Higher the better"...(30'+) Think I seen where your using a dipole antenna, nothing wrong with those antenna's for local talk on a CB, but for DX a Vertical antenna up on a 30' pole will work much better, or a beam type antenna.

2nd..."Power"...a stock 4w CB Radio is going to have problems making it threw all the noise..Typically stations in DX will answer calls they hear that are the loudest, and clearest when the band is hopping...If there are tons of people trying to get their name called, a stock 4w radio will just get covered up in all the traffic...

Now on SSB you might stand a chance getting your name called when skip's rolling, just depends on your antenna and conditions.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Couple of things...1st, most likely your antenna..."Higher the better"...(30'+) Think I seen where your using a dipole antenna, nothing wrong with those antenna's for local talk on a CB, but for DX a Vertical antenna up on a 30' pole will work much better, or a beam type antenna.

2nd..."Power"...a stock 4w CB Radio is going to have problems making it threw all the noise..Typically stations in DX will answer calls they hear that are the loudest, and clearest when the band is hopping...If there are tons of people trying to get their name called, a stock 4w radio will just get covered up in all the traffic...

Now on SSB you might stand a chance getting your name called when skip's rolling, just depends on your antenna and conditions.
    On a day that's clear as a bell. Me on a Uniden 980 SSB and a steel freestanding dipole built for skip 25' up on a pole. With a 1.05 matched SWR. I'm dead in the water. I'm hearing the world but can't talk to anyone...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Still. You may very well be getting out, but if there are others out their pushing more power than you, your going to get covered up.

Another problem "could be" your radio may not be properly aligned to the frequency...On SSB if your off just a little, the stations that your trying to reach could be hearing nothing but a garbled signal...AM is a little more forgiving when your off..If you didn't have the radio properly peaked and tuned when you bought it, it maybe worth having someone check it out on SSB...You could do this yourself by just finding a local to give you a radio check on SSB with someone that has a radio with a frequency counter to see what it reads on his radio once he fine tuned you in, and let you know how you sound.

Other problems could be your location, if there's lot's of tall trees around, tall buildings, or mountains that might be blocking your signal. (which is why when it comes to the antenna "Higher the better".

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (05-17-2018), BOOTY MONSTER (05-18-2018), T-I-N-Y34 (05-16-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm looking for a trustworthy shop to send my radio to now to have it all lined out. I may also be in the market for a little add-on power later on down the road. But for now, it's steady as she goes...lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Dipole antennas are made for DXing. Still though, you won’t have much luck without any power. It is possible, but highly unlikely. To keep the cost low, it would be best to start out with a 2-pill amplifier that’ll do around 100 to 200 watts (2x2SC2879 or 2x2SC2290). Also, a stock radio wouldn’t be wise to run into a linear amplifier without having the radio tuned and the dead key lowered. Check out YouTube on cb radio tuning and variable key to see what I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Happy DXing

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattsowders1989 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-18-2018), T-I-N-Y34 (05-17-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsowders1989 View Post
    Dipole antennas are made for DXing. Still though, you won’t have much luck without any power. It is possible, but highly unlikely. To keep the cost low, it would be best to start out with a 2-pill amplifier that’ll do around 100 to 200 watts (2x2SC2879 or 2x2SC2290). Also, a stock radio wouldn’t be wise to run into a linear amplifier without having the radio tuned and the dead key lowered. Check out YouTube on cb radio tuning and variable key to see what I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know what you're talking about.And I'm going to get my radio tuned. I just know a lot of guys not running any add-on power that talk just fine. So something must be up with my radio. Hopefully getting it tuned will help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    skip isn't always reciprocal . a dipole is slightly bi-directional . i like the radio tuning/checking and the small amp suggestion . don't let folks talk you into a big kilowatt amp ...... a 2 pill and a 3-4 element beam would be better if you want more TX IMO . BTW , a beam is just a dipole with a reflector element and one or more director elements that focuses tx and rx more in one direction , the more elements the more directional it is .

BTW , when you get the 980 tuned get a variable dead key pot added for fine tuning to your future amp .
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 05-18-2018 at 10:02 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (05-18-2018)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None