preps

Thread: radios with no transmit or receive but powers up

mysteryman Guest Chat with me

radios with no transmit or receive but powers up

Hello I come across a lot of radios that have the same problem, they power up but have no transmit or receive, however when I key the mic the tx/rx light changes color. Is this a common problem and does anyone know how to test and or fix this issue? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    keying up without a antenna or dummy load can blow finals and my be why it won't TX .

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (05-28-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    First off, "powering up" is a meaningless phrase that has become the garbage-can description of most everything you buy on eBay. "Powering up" only means that the light bulbs or displays are receiving their minuscule voltage and rarely is that voltage a problem. The easiest way to determine if your transmitter is indeed putting out RF energy is to connect an SWR meter going to a 50 ohm dummy load and keying the mike. The fact that your RECEIVE/TRANSMIT LED changes color also is almost meaningless and only means the switch control circuitry is receiving its minuscule power. The cheapest way to test for a working transmitter is a hundred years old: Connect a low wattage light bulb...an old Christmas tree bulb or 15 or 25 watt appliance light bulb to the coaxial connector. Be careful not to short the center conductor to the outside. One lead of the light bulb goes to the coax connector center and the other lightbulb lead goes to the shield of the coax connector (the case). Key the mike and if it lights up, your transmitter is working. However this does NOT assure you that you are transmitting in the CB band. It only indicates that the final power amplifier is putting out RF energy.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None