preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cobra Highgear mic?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    since the mic you were looking at is so cheap you could at least try it and you would not be out much.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sonoma For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you could also look at getting the dm452 mic . it has echo and is cheap right now from this seller. Effingham radio shop.if the radio has talk back on it the radio will squeal when you key up do to RF feed back. just wanted to let you know about this item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-SUPERSTAR-DM-452-CB-Radio-Echo-Power-Microphone-4-Pin-FASTEST-SHIPPING/172704786019?epid=2255341366&hash=item283601e663:gfwAAOSwX9FZLf47:sc:USPSFirstClass!73010!US!-1

Last edited by sonoma; 06-01-2018 at 07:31 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sonoma For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoma View Post
    you could also look at getting the dm452 mic . it has echo and is cheap right now from this seller. Effingham radio shop.if the radio has talk back on it the radio will squeal when you key up do to RF feed back. just wanted to let you know about this item.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WORKMAN-SUPERSTAR-DM-452-CB-Radio-Echo-Power-Microphone-4-Pin-FASTEST-SHIPPING/172704786019?epid=2255341366&hash=item283601e663:gfwAAOSwX9FZLf47:sc:USPSFirstClass!73010!US!-1

Will all power mics make it squeal? Or just the ones with eco? I swear I used to know this stuff...lol But a lot of meds that make my memory weak. Do me in now a days.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    any power mic will cause the radio to squeal if you have talk back on the radio.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sonoma For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (06-01-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Really you don't need a power mic if the radio already has a Mic Gain knob...Because what will happen is if the radio has Mic Gain, then you would have to turn that down, and only run the power mic at about half or less in order to keep from squealing or sounding over modulated...So by having to turn everything down just to run a power mic, your sorta defeating the purpose of having a power mic.

Power mics are better suited for radios without Mic Gain like Cobra 19's, Uniden 510, and 520s...I use the RF Limited Xtreme echo Mic with my Uniden 520 for that reason, plus since that mic has the echo feature I can adjust the echo wheels to give it just enough echo sound to give it a little more bass'y sound and not so tinny...Then with the 1x2 amp inline too, that $50 radio sounds more like a $400 radio!

If you just want a better Mic, I would look at the Astatic 636L, Ranger SRA-198, or Palomar SL-41...

The Palomar is probably out of your price range, but the SRA 198's can be found on ebay starting at $25

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Really you don't need a power mic if the radio already has a Mic Gain knob...Because what will happen is if the radio has Mic Gain, then you would have to turn that down, and only run the power mic at about half or less in order to keep from squealing or sounding over modulated...So by having to turn everything down just to run a power mic, your sorta defeating the purpose of having a power mic.

Power mics are better suited for radios without Mic Gain like Cobra 19's, Uniden 510, and 520s...I use the RF Limited Xtreme echo Mic with my Uniden 520 for that reason, plus since that mic has the echo feature I can adjust the echo wheels to give it just enough echo sound to give it a little more bass'y sound and not so tinny...Then with the 1x2 amp inline too, that $50 radio sounds more like a $400 radio!

If you just want a better Mic, I would look at the Astatic 636L, Ranger SRA-198, or Palomar SL-41...

The Palomar is probably out of your price range, but the SRA 198's can be found on ebay starting at $25
    Well if you remember the idiot that had this radio broke the pot off the top of the modulation trimmer. I have a new one on the way but who knows if that'll fix my problem anyway. So I was thinking I might as well get a power mic. I know my modulations not up all the way. Plus I also have an ssb radio that's getting an amp soon and the techs say that radio needs to be run with a power mic when it's boosted. So if I don't need it for this one I'll use it for my other one...lol
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I really like the SRA-198 mics. They do a really good job at taking care of any background noises without taking away from the mic's ability to faithfully reproduce your voice over the air.
    Last edited by white knite; 06-02-2018 at 02:06 AM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to white knite For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (06-02-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-I-N-Y34 View Post
    They any good?
    I bought one of those High Gear mics. to replace a bad Cobra mic and got a radio check with it and was told it sounded good. But I don't use that radio enough to really give you a honest opinion. I was in a Flying J gift shop and seen a bunch of them for $19.00 so give the truckers a shout and see what they think. I have 3 of the Road devil mics and they work OK but keep a spare 9 volt battery around so you don't get caught with your pants down. That's the only thing I don't like about Power mics. Just a Old Farts opinion! LOL

Visitors found this page by searching for

None