preps
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I'm messing up big time...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-I-N-Y34 View Post
    I did the mods for the receive. It did nothing special. There's the same amount of background noise as before. If it works it's so little of a change it's hard to tell. The mosfet kit did great. The swing kit did great. But the receive kit sucks.
    are you sure it's background noise and not something being generated nearby . google RF sniffer

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (06-14-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    are you sure it's background noise and not something being generated nearby . google RF sniffer
    That was A good idea...But nothing. I did the poor mans test. I unplugged everything but my power supply and radios And turned my Cobra on. I then plugged everything in one at a time then turned on my fluorescent lights. All the while watching the meter. The only time it moved was when I turn on the lights but it just fluttered and when back to where it was.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just did a variable power mod to my Cobra 29 LTD Chrome. Goes from 0 to 8 watts dead key and swings to 35+ watts. Sounds "smooth as glass" one guy said. Another said, " Sounds like your setting in my cab" I was 8 miles away. In a valley...lol These test mods I've been doing have turned out alright. I wouldn't do them if I didn't have a grasp on some basic electronics and what makes them tick. But with some soldering skills and a little knowledge of how to find what goes where and to be able to follow simple directions with photos. You'd be able to do these mods. I'm not trying to take anything away from the techs that do this work on a daily basis. I think you guys are wizards. You guys make it possible for guys like me to be able to work on my own radios.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    what did you replace the stock transistors with to get 35 watts out of the 29 ? what meter are you using to see those numbers ?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    what did you replace the stock transistors with to get 35 watts out of the 29 ? what meter are you using to see those numbers ?
    An IRF520 mosfet with the slug removed. And it was a bird meter. I took it to a guy that has a shop and had him put it on his meter. Why?
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 06-28-2018 at 05:26 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Even a bird meter can't tell the difference between watts transmitted on 27 MHZ and 54 MHZ. A IRF520 tops out at about 25 watts, anything else is harmonics.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to white knite For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by white knite View Post
    Even a bird meter can't tell the difference between watts transmitted on 27 MHZ and 54 MHZ. A IRF520 tops out at about 25 watts, anything else is harmonics.
    I wonder why just about every tech out there uses bird meters then? Doesn't seem like they would use them if they're not working right. I mean even the best of them say that what it reads is peak power. BUT.. I don't care... All I know is I'm getting out better than before. And further than before. So if it's only making 25w or 15w that's fine with me. As long as I see what I did helps the radio be better then what it was while still sounding good.
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 07-03-2018 at 03:59 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You would be better off putting that radio back stock, with maybe just a 2w dk swinging 10w, then stick a little 2 pill amp inline....

I just bought a President McKinley for my Tacoma, and all I did was open the top, and adjust the Modulation to 100%+, and now with a 1x2 inline i'm seeing 400w's!

Right out of the box, radio was set at 3'w swinging maybe 6w's, but once I adjusted the modulation pot, I'm getting close to a 10w swing, which is more than enough to swing the crap out of a 1x2 without any distortion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (11-18-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    You would be better off putting that radio back stock, with maybe just a 2w dk swinging 10w, then stick a little 2 pill amp inline....

I just bought a President McKinley for my Tacoma, and all I did was open the top, and adjust the Modulation to 100%+, and now with a 1x2 inline i'm seeing 400w's!

Right out of the box, radio was set at 3'w swinging maybe 6w's, but once I adjusted the modulation pot, I'm getting close to a 10w swing, which is more than enough to swing the crap out of a 1x2 without any distortion.
    See that's just it. I built it this way because that's what I wanted to do. I wanted to build a radio that didn't need an amp to talk locally. And that's what I did. I'm not looking to make big power with it. This radio talks crystal clear and gets out better than any of the trucks running up and down the road. SO.. I would be better off leaving it alone and let it be and quit messing with it...lol

BTW nice radio. I was looking at those when I got my 980.
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 07-03-2018 at 06:19 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yeah, that's why Im only running a 1x2 amp thar does 400w...just needed something to talk locally...not interested in shooting skip with it...that's what the base is for...with this set-up I have no problems getting back to my locals 20-25 miles away on the other side of town.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None