preps
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: I'm messing up big time...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    Yeah, that's why Im only running a 1x2 amp thar does 400w...just needed something to talk locally...not interested in shooting skip with it...that's what the base is for...with this set-up I have no problems getting back to my locals 20-25 miles away on the other side of town.
    LOL...LOL... 400 watts for local talking? Holly crap I'd hate to see what you think you need for skip. With 400w you can shoot skip without a problem. I shoot with 100w and reach all up and down the eastern seaboard. If I had 400w for local it would be overkill. I'd be able to get way out with the truck drivers but they wouldn't be able to get back to me. I'm just looking for 5-9 miles is all. And I got it with this setup. I'm happy with it.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In Dallas area you have allot of structures and electrical noise to deal with...Dallas County is 30 miles in each direction. If your in a mobile say in west Dallas, and want to talk to someone on the other side of town it ain't happening with anything under 100w s...best you might get is a 10 mile contact if the channels quiet...as for DX, I can make contacts with the mobile with 400w s sure...But why would I want to sit out in 100° weather just to talk to someone clear across the Country? With the base, I'm sitting in a air conditioned room with A beam 60' in the air and can talk in total comfort to anyone I can hear!

Guess If all I was interested in was talking a few miles to someone passing by, then maybe a 50 radio would be ok...my problem tho is if I hear someone way off in the distance that I know, I have to try and get back to them.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    In Dallas area you have allot of structures and electrical noise to deal with...Dallas County is 30 miles in each direction. If your in a mobile say in west Dallas, and want to talk to someone on the other side of town it ain't happening with anything under 100w s...best you might get is a 10 mile contact if the channels quiet...as for DX, I can make contacts with the mobile with 400w s sure...But why would I want to sit out in 100° weather just to talk to someone clear across the Country? With the base, I'm sitting in a air conditioned room with A beam 60' in the air and can talk in total comfort to anyone I can hear!

Guess If all I was interested in was talking a few miles to someone passing by, then maybe a 50 radio would be ok...my problem tho is if I hear someone way off in the distance that I know, I have to try and get back to them.
    I'm down in a deep valley where the road snakes through it. Not counting all the trees surrounding me. I'm actually surprised I can make it out the front door with this radio...lol But I get out between 5-9 on a normal day and even better on a perfect one. so for what I'm looking for, I'm on the money.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

4. The Following User Says Thank You to T-I-N-Y34 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-21-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-I-N-Y34 View Post
    I'm down in a deep valley where the road snakes through it. Not counting all the trees surrounding me. I'm actually surprised I can make it out the front door with this radio...lol But I get out between 5-9 on a normal day and even better on a perfect one. so for what I'm looking for, I'm on the money.
    See out away from the major city's you can get by with smaller set-up's, but get close to city's the size of the Dallas area, the noise floor is almost as loud as what most people are talking at...Like right now I have 7 pounds of just noise pegging my meter...One of my locals that's about 7 or 8 miles away I have a hard time hearing because his signal comes in at about the same level as the noise...And when DX is also trying to roll in he just disappears completely...Once the Sun go's down tho, the noise usually drops way down to just 1 or 2 on the meter.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (07-04-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    See out away from the major city's you can get by with smaller set-up's, but get close to city's the size of the Dallas area, the noise floor is almost as loud as what most people are talking at...Like right now I have 7 pounds of just noise pegging my meter...One of my locals that's about 7 or 8 miles away I have a hard time hearing because his signal comes in at about the same level as the noise...And when DX is also trying to roll in he just disappears completely...Once the Sun go's down tho, the noise usually drops way down to just 1 or 2 on the meter.
    Yeah I remember what it's like in large cities. I drove truck OTR.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Over 5 months later and still going strong. I've done nothing else to my radio. And it still sounds as good as it did the first time I tried it after the mods. I still get compliments on the sound of it from time to time. I can still get out 6-9 miles on a clear day and 5-6 on a crappy one. I learned a little while doing these upgrades. But nothing compared to the techs out there. I still think you guys are wizards. I'm still wondering about adding a small amp to it but not completely sold on the idea.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-I-N-Y34 View Post
    what antenna are you using ? if i recall correctly you built some antennas . you may want to make something with a higher TOA to get up out the vally a smiggin better like a wire starduster/merlin antenna or a NVIS antenna . they will do skip but are typically better suited for local than 5/8 and such . performance will vary for each location/situation .

i'm in the blue ridge mountians now also . about 20-25 miles from bluefield on the Va side . i'm up on a high ridge though . recovering from having a hip replacement so don't have my antenna up yet . hope to hear you in the next 2-3 months

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Oh, I'm 1500-1600 down in a valley. There's no hope for me getting any better... I've tried a bunch of different setups and the best one is my metal freestanding dipole. It offers the best of both worlds. Well, the best it can be that is.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T-I-N-Y34 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-21-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    About the only thing you can do is to get your antenna as high up as possible in the air. Get a dipole up to at least 1 wavelength or more and it will make a difference. You may have to experiment some and also try building some different antennas. But with you being so low in the valley you really need to get that antenna up as high as possible. I know when I got above 40-50ft that man my dipole really came alive. Height is might.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (11-22-2018), T-I-N-Y34 (11-23-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    About the only thing you can do is to get your antenna as high up as possible in the air. Get a dipole up to at least 1 wavelength or more and it will make a difference. You may have to experiment some and also try building some different antennas. But with you being so low in the valley you really need to get that antenna up as high as possible. I know when I got above 40-50ft that man my dipole really came alive. Height is might.
    Yeah, I plan on getting it up some more but there's no way I could get it up 40-50 foot. The very most I could do would be a little over 30. And I can't run a full wave either. Right now I'm running a have wave free standing all metal dipole. No wires tied to anything. And it's right around 20 feet. But like I said I'm going to add another join of pipe to it in the near future. I'm stuck in a low antenna rut...lol But it'll get better with a little more height.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None