preps

Thread: Does anybody know what this wire is for?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does anybody know what this wire is for?

It's a Cobra 29 LTD Chrome. There's this wire that looks out of place and doesn't look factory. because it's got plier marks on it. This radio was refurbished. So I was thinking maybe someone done something to it before it went back. Then again it could be factory IDK. Here are some pics.
    Name:  DSCF4656.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  1.80 MB
    Name:  DSCF4657.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  1.48 MB
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    it almost looks like a repair to replace a bad trace. it is hard to tell but if you look at the 2nd picture and try to look under the wire on the right side it looks like the trace may be bad right there. good chance that is a repair for the refurb.. just look close under the wire for a bad trace. if the radio works as it should leave the wire alone.
    no need to try to repair a radio that is working just fine.
    I bought a 29LTD chrome a few months back and it seems to work a little better than my old side mic 29LTD radios. one of the plus for the chrome version is the talk back out the front of the radio.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoma View Post
    it almost looks like a repair to replace a bad trace. it is hard to tell but if you look at the 2nd picture and try to look under the wire on the right side it looks like the trace may be bad right there. good chance that is a repair for the refurb.. just look close under the wire for a bad trace. if the radio works as it should leave the wire alone.
    no need to try to repair a radio that is working just fine.
    I bought a 29LTD chrome a few months back and it seems to work a little better than my old side mic 29LTD radios. one of the plus for the chrome version is the talk back out the front of the radio.
    The refurb fix was the talkback... It was written on the box. Did you do the fix for the low talkback on your Chrome yet?
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no I have not.
    did you ever look real close at the trace under the wire and see if it is just a repair.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no I have not.
    did you ever look real close at the trace under the wire and see if it is just a repair.
    Nope, I got sidetracked and didn't take it apart yet...lol But like you said if it's working why mess with it... I just wanted to know if anyone knew off hand why it would be done that way. And your answer seems spot on to me. Because I couldn't find any mods that called for a wire jumper there. Oh, and after you do the talkback mod you'll love it. If you ever use talkback that is. So much clearer and louder.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    is this the mod you are talking about? I have read it but never tried it. I guess that is because I do not use talk back very much. just for fun I may try it one day.
    let me know if this is the mod you are talking about or is there another one out.

http://downloads.cobra.com/CB/TSB/TSB10058.pdf
    Last edited by sonoma; 08-02-2018 at 01:08 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    is this the mod you are talking about? I have read it but never tried it. I guess that is because I do not use talk back very much. just for fun I may try it one day.
    let me know if this is the mod you are talking about or is there another one out.

That mod on the Cobra works well...all you really need to do is take a wire twist-tie off a bread wrapper and scrape the plastic off, then tie it around the top of those two resisters and it will work... or any piece of wire will do...That way if for some reason you don't like it, it's easy to take back off!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    thanks JJD, next time I have the radio out I will see how the talk back mod works. I do not use talk back unless I am setting up the echo on a radio. after that I turn it off.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yep that's the one... I did mine right after I bought it...And I'm glad I did too. So much better.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None