preps

Thread: Redbeard signing on from TX.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Redbeard signing on from TX.

Redbeard here, signing on. Have been avid 11 meter user for about 28 years. Every truck owned has had my Uniden PC66 installed. Began running a linear years back and enjoyed the DX. Contacts from coastal Louisiana and Texas. Porto Rico, Dominican Republic, Hawaii, North Texas, North Dakota, North and South Carolina's, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida, and even Maine.
    Recently found a deal on a 148GTL from Charlie's Airwaves in Houston area and have been setting it up as base. Fabricated a Starduster 1/4 wave from scrap aluminum tubing. Still tuning and tweaking the darn thing. Plan to run my 225 amp once satisfied with antenna.
    Trying to navigate this site has proven confusing. Though I'm "signed in" the notice has me as "guest".
    Difficult to view posts due to the conflict. Noticed another had similar problems.

Anyone out there feels like shouting out I should be LSB 38. Just holler for "U812 in Port Lavaca, TX."

Respectfully,

Redbeard

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would holler at ya, but even with all the power I run, and the beam way up in the air, I still doubt you'll hear me up here in Dallas...although I have made several contacts on 38 lsb in the Austin, San Antonio area before after dark...not much down towards the Houston area tho.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Don't get much from Nort of the Boader. Mostly coastal, some from OK, ND, NC, and FLA. PR also. Running a home built "Starduster" industrial grade I guess. Built from scrap telescoping aluminum tubing. Looking at building a 2 element quad with rectangle loops for 50 Ohm next, digging for scrap to fabricate. The 148 I have is not well, alignment problems I presume. Golden Screwdriver got hold of it before I owned it. some kind of chl. mod. A Talk Back mod, and only God knows what else. Currently building Road Map from Hell for Chl./Freq. configurations. Drift is bad. If I had wanted a Galaxy I would have bought one. Seriously thinking of sending it to Clay's in San Antonio for diagnostic and cure. I posted in "Radios" about it. No hits yet. If you have any thoughts, or suggestions for a good tech, let me know.

Thanks,
    Redbeard

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Clays is good...I use to go over to their shop all the time back when they were over by Ranger Hill...Since they moved several times I've only delt with them over the internet, and bought a few things.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thinking Clay's would be best. They ain't cheap, but I hear they know radios. Could take this sick radio back to Charlie's Airwaves in Houston. He did the mods on it. The channel mod does not work. Can rec in regular LSB, but not using the mod. LSB 38 in mod is 23 (NB/ANL-HI-DIM). Spreads from 27.605 up to 28.045. Clarifier covers 16KHz. Be nice if it worked. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. It's going back on the shelf till I get time to take it somewhere. Going out to kick a chicken.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Yep have to consider how much it's going to cost to fix it, compared to what it's worth...might be better to just buy a new one that's un-molested

Visitors found this page by searching for

None