Thread: Anyone have an opinion on al capones

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

Follow doughboy On Twitter Add doughboy on Facebook
    Visit doughboy's Youtube Channel

Anyone have an opinion on al capones

anybody using alcapone antennas in a bounceback setup whats your opinion of them compared to 55's im thing about trying some out

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The BAC's are a little funny. They are all about the spacing. Where the R4's like 86" spacing, the BAC's like shorter spacing. I have the one on my lil green maul and it tunes great but had to raise stinger all the way and made a 1.5" spacer for underneath and its perfect. Put it on the burban by itself and it sucks horribly! When in bounceback, they like shorter spacing but if you are already pucked for 86, then you can play with lengths and probably get it down. Not the greatest design of antenna, but they nice for ride-arounds cause theyre only 5'. They aint no r4's- thats for sure!

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

yeah im already at 86" ive never been able to get my 55's down below 1.1 and their not very widebanded although my mfj might be a little flakey its the old one with no advanced modes only gives impedance magnitude but my birds only show about 4 watts back with 3kw dead key so i tend to just leave it be i ocasionally get a little rf like the wipers popping on but that only happens once in a blue moon so i was thinking about trying the BAC's or adding a cap to the antennas

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you saw mine when i was at the break that night. My rear is an extended r6 with the 3/4" wrap. Im 1.0 at 26.900 and hit 1.1 at about 28.700. Maybe the wrap, maybe be the coax. Im running 1/2 heliax cut at 1/2wave x velocity factor (multiply 18x.81= 14.57' ). Maybe try my sticks on your truck and see if it changes. have to set em when the d layer is shut down too. if you test em when the skip is rollin, youll get a different reading

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

yea i may have to step it up to heliax im running 217 cut at 1/2wave i thought the heliax would be overkill but now im second guessing that and i have heard about the not setting it when the skip is active but i didnt think there was any truth to that because ive never seen any mention of it in the mfj manual or any of the ham forums i lurk around but i may just try a reading during the day and at night when the bands dead and see what happens my antennas are also the charger knockoffs so the coil is kind of narrow on them

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well, im working on a smaller rider-around that performs just as well as a 55. Same height as a BAC, but different coil etc.. HV's antenna is actually the guinea pig cause he ordered one and wanted it short. so we'll see what happens. I ran LMR400 in the prius and I ballparked it- luckily i must have hit it on the nose cause everything tunes perfect on that thing. I had a wil 5k bolted thru the roof and that hunk of crap wouldnt tune to save its life - AND i modified the mount with lmr400 (from the rg8u). It just doesnt like the base load i guess.

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

My Social Networking

do you use a shunt capacitor at the feedpoint of your antenna i was thinking about trying one of those out

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope! No caps- direct feed. I was going to try a cap on the rear stick, but dont really need it

noizybuilt.com

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
    anybody using alcapone antennas in a bounceback setup whats your opinion of them compared to 55's im thing about trying some out
    well they are great for low low reflect . big poppa pump loves them along with them big stations you here in conn ! i had one i loved it , i even had a ganster T , actually talked flat side o on some beams , but a tab to heavy running to T 's in the wind. if you have the stinger in them it can only go down a couple inches pass the 2nd to 3rd turn on the antenna , because they say rf gets trapped in there if ya run alot of watts , so that kind of scared me about that , im not sure its true tho. lol

they kick ass tho i had one . but im not crazy about them for skip. they make a flexible one that is similiar to a steel whip that antenna tunes the best , with a 9 inch shaft , the gangstar is the bigest 1 inch and 3/4 shaft width antenna is not that high overall because of its wide bottom , i love the soild aluminum stinger he uses for the gansters strong and alumium transmits better than a steel whip stinger would , so therefore you would become alot more efficent . there a bit pricy tho. but so is stargun which some people call tinker toys that are garbage , lol

i love to try different things , at one time i had 10 antenna's its a sicknes i used to have . lol lol
    i really had so much luck with overgain and performance with those 18 to 24 inch shafts with the coil high off the roof . you and only have to make that choice , do not take my advise , lol lol

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
    yeah im already at 86" ive never been able to get my 55's down below 1.1 and their not very widebanded although my mfj might be a little flakey its the old one with no advanced modes only gives impedance magnitude but my birds only show about 4 watts back with 3kw dead key so i tend to just leave it be i ocasionally get a little rf like the wipers popping on but that only happens once in a blue moon so i was thinking about trying the BAC's or adding a cap to the antennas

first answer all capones are swamp antennas. so are starguns.

and doughboy if you only have 4 watts at 3000w dk. thats actually much lower reflect then I look for. you are actually loosing gain Id have about 25-30 watts

using a mfj to tune 2 antennas isnt always the best way. best is with a bird.
    by BOOTYMONSTER » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:07 pm
    how about an option to delete a thread we make ?
    ill admit im at least a part time idiot . sometimes i do double post when editing a post .
    some may find this hard to believe , but ....... sometimes i even get pissed and make a post i regret later . hard to believe huh?? lol

Visitors found this page by searching for

black al capone cb antenna

black al capone cb antennas

noizybuilt cbjunkies

al capone cb antennas

black alcapone cb mobile antennas

black alcapon cb radio antenna

Black tolcapone CB antenna

al capone cb antenna

black al capone antennas

peperoni cb radio

black alcapone antenna gain