preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with my set up

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by 222DBFL View Post
    Yes. The op was speaking about a mobile antenna on the roof of his house. A base antenna is a better option for this.
    I think he's talking about like a camper at a job site. Not a House trailer. While a base antenna would be best. He could use a 102" mobile whip with ground plane wires running across the roof. This way it's not as difficult to set up and take down.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T-I-N-Y34 For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Totally agree. A 102” whip and stud or stuff spring and some ground redials should work for his needs.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you could look into a no ground plane base type antenna made by tram. it is about 1 inch in diameter and 39 inches long. a buddy of mine has one on his fiberglass mobile home and it talks just fine. swr about 1.5 and he made a mount while mobile he can lower it by tilting it over with the mount he made.
    there is a lot of options out there just take a look. 102 inch whip would work just fine also.this will mget you out about 5 to 10 miles depending on condditions and 600 or more with skip rolling good. so just take your choise.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if he does well with a 39 inch antenna good for him . but no way will that highly compromised little coil of wire perform comparably to how a full 1/4 wavelength will let alone what a 1/2 wave or 5/8 base antenna will . different strokes for different folks , the final determining factor is if the user is happy with the performance they get . some folks are happy with anything ... some enjoy splitting hairs for best performance . what makes one happy can make the other miserable . cost , performance and complexity of assembly and install play a huge part in what each may perceive as just fine or best performing antenna . but efficiency and lobe placement are what really tells the tale .

i had a 36 inch lil will mobile at first and it did ok and with a pair of 1446's behind the radio it got a little respect and talked skip . a simple swap to a predator 10k showed a obvious difference in both tx and rx . i'm a big believer in a properly designed longer antenna have better POTENTIAL performance than a than a shorter one . but nearby structures and terrain as well as a persons preference for local vs DX contacts will be determining factors in what works best for them .
    Last edited by BOOTY MONSTER; 12-09-2018 at 10:22 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    AMEN Booty Monster! I love my vector 4k. Wish it was a bit better built, but that can be accomplished with some modding. Height is might and man I will say this, being able to talk 30-60 miles consistently is very nice for local stuff, let alone all the DX I am able to get!! Just wish it was a bit better in bad weather. But like you said, different strokes for different folks.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to 222DBFL For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (12-09-2018)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I second that on the Vector 4K. I can consistently talk to folks barefoot who are running power to put a similar reading on my meyrt that I am to them. That being said, he'll have to choose something that will perform to his satisfaction within his restrictions.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to white knite For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (12-11-2018), BOOTY MONSTER (12-11-2018)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None