preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a new radio...Now my amp won't put out like it did before.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got a new radio...Now my amp won't put out like it did before.

I was running a Uniden 980 for skip with an RM Italy KL 203-P amp. It would push 80-100 watts on am and swing 90-100 on SSB with 2-2.5 deadkey. But now I have A Galaxy DX 2547. With a 2 watt deadkey, it's pushing about 25 on AM and will swing to about 20-25 with a hillbilly whistle on sideband. What's going on? I can talk fine locally but as far as skip I know I won't be able to get out there. Does anybody know what's going on?
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 02-01-2019 at 04:29 PM.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    are you saying that with the amp hooked to the radio you only get about 25 watts out or you saying the radio does 25 on AM without the amp. . if the watts is the radio only that is about right for what the radio is.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sonoma For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (02-02-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    with the radio dead keyed at about 2 watts hooked to the KL203-P amp with the amp on. it's only showing about 25 watts on am. And on sideband, it only swings up to 20-25 watts with a 2-watt dead key. Now when barefoot the radio does 2 watts with the rf power turned down and about 6-7 with it turned up on am.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    hook the amp back up to the 980 radio and see if it still works. you may have put too much into the amp and fried the pills in it. just verify it still works.
    make sure your coax jumper is good also. a loose ground can cause one to not put out as it should. what is the swr also.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 980 is toast. It fried. the swrs are all but flatlined. 1.00 or lower. Barely reads on a meter. I can hook the amp up to another am radio to see if it puts out better. I'll get back to ya buddy

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, on a 2.5 deadkey it's putting out 60 watts. Only thing I can think is like you said it's a jumper or maybe a ground.. I don't know...lol It's weird. The amp says 5-10 watts input but that's got to be wrong. It'll fry quickly like that right? And I've never put more than 3 in it. I'm at a loss..

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, back on the DX 2547 With a 3-watt dead key.(Now that 3 watts is what the internal meter says) (My old PDC1 Astatic says 2 watts) So I'm not sure which one to really trust. The Astatic has done me right in the past. So I'm going with that I think. Seeing as this radio has been opened and may be tuned. So if I am right the internal meter is a little more then a watt off on it's reading. Plus a lot of people I've talked to that run this amp say that2.5-3 is the sweet spot for the amp. Does this sound right Sonoma?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I set it to a 2-watt deadkey and on am it's putting out about 70-watts. And on SSB it hits about 30-watts with a hillbilly whistle. For a 200-watt amp it sure isn't making much on SSB. Is it possible I did something to the SSB side of things? OH, To get the watts up I took out a switch I had inline and changed the jumper from the radio to the amp. I'm afraid I've messed up my amp. You tell me, buddy...lol
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 02-02-2019 at 06:44 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    have you checked the swr between the radio and amp and then the amp to antenna?
    check what your radio is showing power wise with the amp inline and the amp turned off.
    you could have a bad relay in the amp. that little amp works best with a dead key just below 2 watts and does not swing much over 10 to 15 watts. your radio will hit that little amp hard even thou it is a single final rig. most 980 radios do not swing much compared to the 2547 you have now.
    what makes me wonder about the amp is you said your 980 is fried. they should last for years unless you get bad swr's to the radio. some thing had to blow the 980. they should last for years.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The 980 was a power fry. To much power got into the radio. It smoked it. It still had received but no transmit. A guy I let use it hooked it up straight when the fuse blew. 14v got in it burn up a strip looking thing in the middle of the radio. And for the SWR. I have the internal meter for before the amp and the Astatic after the amp. They're the same. I can hear the relays opening and closing as I talk. But like you said it could still be one.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None