preps

Thread: Question about predator 10k k-2-9

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question about predator 10k k-2-9

Just getting started so I will have alot of rookie questions. I try to do research to find out first. But my setup is going to be cobra 148gtl and a 10k k-2-9 on a tram triple 5" magnet base in center of crew cab roof. My question is can you screw the bottom shaft off the 10k and screw it directly on the mount? There is no store close to me that has these accessories. Thanks for any info

Just getting started so I will have alot of rookie questions. I try to do research to find out first. But my setup is going to be cobra 148gtl and a 10k k-2-9 on a tram triple 5" magnet base in center of crew cab roof. My question is can you screw the bottom shaft off the 10k and screw it directly on the mount? There is no store close to me that has these accessories. Thanks for any info

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Short answer is NO.

You can unscrew the lower shaft off the coil "Yes", but the stud on the coil is not going to be the same size as what the mount uses...Plus, it will never tune without that lower shaft...Stinger would be way too short.

I think Kale still makes a 3" lower shaft if you just want a shorter shaft, and he might build you a 1" lower shaft if you call and ask him...His number is on the sticker at the bottom of the lower shaft.

IMO tho, the short-shafts just don't tune well...If it were me, I would get the 17" lower shaft, single-coil Predator 10K... Of all the Predator's I have had, and still have, I've always had the best luck with the original single coil Predator with the 17" lower shaft.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (02-21-2019), Tigger (02-20-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    OK, Thanks! If I do that with the 17" lower shaft and single coil would I have to lower my mounting area? Trying to stay under 9' if I can. Im going to go check length of the single coil antenna and go from there.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Tigger View Post
    OK, Thanks! If I do that with the 17" lower shaft and single coil would I have to lower my mounting area? Trying to stay under 9' if I can. Im going to go check length of the single coil antenna and go from there.
    The single-coil 10K tunes around 7'...You didn't say you had height restrictions to deal with...If height is a issue, you may want to look at the "SW" dual-coil Predator 10K...It tunes closer to 5' or shorter...This is what allot of the Big trucks run on mirror mounts because it tunes shorter...

The lower shaft on the Predator's has nothing to do with how tall the antenna is when tuned...The number of turns in the coil section, and number of coils, is what determines how tall the antenna ends up when tuned...

More turns in the coil= shorter antenna...

Down-side of shorter antennas is performance...Yes they will work and tune good, but shorter you go, you lose efficiency resulting in less signal...

My Predator 10K mounted on a riser behind the cab...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Tigger (02-21-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Awesome info!! I did not know about the bottom shaft not having an effect on tuning. I do know or think I do that the bottom of the coil needs to be above the cab. So I guess thats the reason for the different lengths. Im learning and reading and youtubing, lol! Thanks for taking the time to respond!!
    Last edited by Tigger; 02-21-2019 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Right...well to a point. The bottom shaft doesn't really have much to do with the "Height" of the antenna, but does in some cases affect how well the antenna tunes on a SWR Meter...The shorter lower shafts like the 6" and 9" seem to do better when mounted on mirror brackets...the 12" and 17" lower shafts do better on roof mounts...22" and 27" lower shafts do OK just about anywhere they are mounted as for as tuning go's, but not recommended on roofs because they are too easily broken by low hanging tree limbs. These taller shafts were meant to be used for mounting behind the cabs on pick-ups for guys who want to mount the antenna on top of the bed rail...

Personally, I never had much luck mounting the 10K on top of the bed rail...You still have about a 3rd of the antenna right up next to metal (the cab)...Which is why I decided to get some square tubing and build a riser that would get the antenna mount to roof-height...worked out great!

There are a bunch of so-called "Antenna Experts" that will tell you this is a bad idea, and won't work because of what they read in some book tho...Yet none of them have actually tried it for themselves... I've had mine mounted on a riser for several years now (just didn't want to drill a hole in the roof) and the set-up gets out all across town.

and yes. coil section needs to be over the roof, higher the better!

Here's a little-bit better shot at my riser I made for the antenna...This is not a Predator 10K antenna tho, it's a Monkey Made "Big John" which is a heavier antenna than the 10K, but the mount I made worked just fine with it also.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (03-04-2019), Tigger (02-22-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That setup looks pretty good. I was thinking about a single coil on a 27" shaft mounted to center of a wing style tool box to get it up above roof line. But may have to try something like that with the shorter lower shaft. Hard to say for sure what it will do I know so Ill have to do a lil trial and error. Thanks again!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    That's what the 27" shaft was designed for...Mount to tool box's or top of the bed rail to get the coil above the cab...Biggest problem tho with mounting to toolbox's, is getting a good ground... My toolbox's lid opens to the back, so mounting the antenna on it wasn't a option.

Should work fine on a toolbox that has the lids that open to the side with a space in between to mount the antenna...I would run a couple ground straps off it tho to the frame, or maybe a bolt on the bed, then have a ground strap under the bed going to the frame...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Name:  ground strap.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  56.7 KBI have some of these coming! The grounding is what I was most concerned with or ground plane as its called. Im gonna put one on each side of tool box to bed and probably one on each side of bed to frame. Getting excited lol!! I know I aint gonna talk to nobody across the country but ready to get started!! Thanks again for ALL your help!!!!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like your on the right track...I wouldn't get too concerned with the ground plane...If I can get a decent ground plane going mounting the antenna on a piece of square metal tubing, you shouldn't have a problem with the toolbox.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

Tigger (02-23-2019)

Visitors found this page by searching for

None