preps

Thread: Tram 300 magnetic mount antenna

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tram 300 magnetic mount antenna

I received this Tram 300 antenna as part of a package deal with a radio I bought from Walmart and it has a nice rubber cushion to protect your vehicle paint. I was thinking I might like to try it on top of my astro van because it is shorter than my Wilson Lill Will or my K40, but I was wondering if anyone ever tried putting a spring between the base and the whip? I would like that extra protection from low hanging objects like canopy's. It might play havoc with the swr but was wondering if it could be adjusted out. Anyone ever try it before I waste my money on a spring?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    IMO...The whole antenna is a waste of money!

"Just too short" to get any real distance out of it...You can try a small spring, it should work just fine, but you may need to clip some of the stinger off to get the SWR set...adding a spring is like adding more to the stinger, so if you stick the stinger all the way down inside the antenna, and SWR is still showing the stinger is too long, just snip a little off the stinger till SWR comes back down...just don't clip off too much at one time.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (02-07-2019), whiteastro (02-03-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    IMO...The whole antenna is a waste of money!

"Just too short" to get any real distance out of it...You can try a small spring, it should work just fine, but you may need to clip some of the stinger off to get the SWR set...adding a spring is like adding more to the stinger, so if you stick the stinger all the way down inside the antenna, and SWR is still showing the stinger is too long, just snip a little off the stinger till SWR comes back down...just don't clip off too much at one time.
    Thanks JJD for reminding me of clipping off the whip to help adjust my SWR with the spring added. I know the antenna isn't the best one around but it came with a Uniden Pro 520XL I bought from Walmart for $44.00 and I don't care about Long range talking on my Astro van when I'm driving. I talked 10 Air miles with that same radio with a shorter Mag. mount, center loaded antenna on top of of my little short Chevy cobalt. So if I get the Tram 300 on top of my Astro van with a spring it will be higher up but it might not hit that Bank canopy that I have to drive under once in awhile. Besides that! This is how us Old retired guys PLAY! LOL When I'm driving I want to here about road conditions ahead and maybe a smokie report. Have a great day. Hope to talk with you soon.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (02-03-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you get bit by the cb bug .... remember predator 10K antenna . 2 pill amp and 2018 extreme mic .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (02-07-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    if you get bit by the cb bug .... remember predator 10K antenna . 2 pill amp and 2018 extreme mic .
    Thanks for the suggestions and I will definitely check them out. Yeah you might say I got bit by the CB bug. It bit me in the 70s but went dormant for 30 years because I was Taken Care Of Business. LOL Right now I have 5 mobile and 3 base antenna to pick from so I won't purchase any more mobile antenna until I exploit my K40 to the Max for road trips. It gives me a pretty good SWR for a freebee I refurbished But I will be working on 1 to 1 so my system will be all it can be. Got a buddy in Idaho I haven't seen in years so I see a CB Road Trip com-min up. Have a Great Day
    Last edited by whiteastro; 02-07-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None