preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I got a new radio...Now my amp won't put out like it did before.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It would take more than just 14v to fry a radio...should be "OK" even up to 16v for a short period...18v would fry it...

As for the other issue with the Amp and the 2547, you may need to find the modulation pot for AM and crank it open some...If this is a new radio out of the box, more than likely the modulation from the factory is going to be somewhere around 75%...adjusting it open would let it swing more. (I had to do this on my President McKinley)...There's probably a SSB pot too that will let you adjust the swing for SSB. ( I also had to adjust the ssb pot on my McKinley to 12w...factory had it set at about 2.5w)

VR 13 should be your SSB ALC to adjust to 11-12w....

I didn't see a pot for adjusting the modulation on the Service manual site from cb tricks, just a pot for the modulation meter adjustment which is not the same thing... There is some adjustments you can do for the high-end side and low end side for AM RF you can do that might help swing, but not sure...

http://www.cbtricks.com/radios/galax...s/DX2547sm.pdf

The KL 203 is not that big a box to start with, I've never had one but from what I've read from those who have them, typically they don't do but around 100w or less to start with...If one of the finals is toast, then that could also be part of the problem...The 203's don't like alot of swing, typically around 10-12w swing...25w swing could have been too much for it.
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 02-02-2019 at 10:00 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    VR13 will control the output of SSB. it is the alc.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by sonoma View Post
    VR13 will control the output of SSB. it is the alc.
    This is what the guy did.
    VR 13.....SSB ALC (modulation) Up all the way
    VR 14.....AM high power Turned up to 6 watts. (Can this be turned up more for more output?)
    VR 16.....AM modulation up all the way
    VR 17.....SSB power up all the way
    VR 18.....AM low power at 2 watts.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I would have VR18 all the way down to 1/2w...still think it's too much radio for a KL 203...too much swing.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

T-I-N-Y34 (02-03-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    to me 6 watts dead key for high power is way too much. it is only a single final radio like the 980 you have been using.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sonoma For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (02-03-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    to me 6 watts dead key for high power is way too much. it is only a single final radio like the 980 you have been using.
    You know I trust you buddy. I wanna be able to talk locally to the coal truck drivers off the amp. That's why he had the high side up is on 6. And I want to be able to talk skip on the amp. That's why the low side was at 2. The amps just not working the way it was with the 980. The amp says it can handle 5-10 watts input but I know that's crap. but even with less than 2 watts, the amps not swinging up to make power. with a deadkey of around 1.5w, it makes about 38w. On AM. With a deadkey of around 1.5, it makes about 23w. On SSB. With a 2w deadkey, it makes 60w on AM. and with a 2w deadkey makes about 30w on SSB. Send me a message and tell me what to do...If I need to get a bigger amp. I guess I'll start saving now...LOL
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I am wondering if one of the mosfets in the amp has gone bad due to being over driven a little when the new radio was hooked up to it.
    if you are thinking about getting a new amp I would buy a high drive amp. RM makes a amp I think is a 503 high drive. less chance of blowing it up with a single final radio that hits pretty hard. I have a few amps but just a fad when I bought them . tried them a few times than just put them in my closet.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    here is the amp I am talking about.if you watch you can get them on sale about 20.00 cheaper and free shipping.

http://www.88radio.com/cb-amp?product_id=85

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    here is the amp I am talking about.if you watch you can get them on sale about 20.00 cheaper and free shipping.

http://www.88radio.com/cb-amp?product_id=85
    Well, it looks like I got to sell a guitar...lol

Visitors found this page by searching for

None