preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Base station style setup, but mobile OTR trucker

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Base station style setup, but mobile OTR trucker

I joined here along time ago, but then life happened and I got out of the hobby.

My idea is to set up a base station style shack in my rig. This will only be used while im parked. I have a radio in the console a cobra 29lx. Im thinking of putting a mount on the top of the headache rack and putting up a 102" whip when im parked. Then run it into the back and run another radio possibly with a amp. I was into radios for a long time cant beat the 102" whip in my opinion. The truck is a mid roof, so when the antenna is there it will be well above the top of the cab. Im still deciding on a radio looking at the ranger 2950 or a 10 meter galaxy. I want this mainly to shoot skip on ssb. What are your opinions? This ia just an idea. Im not going to be home for 3 more weeks.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if you are wanting a radio for SSB mainly the 2950 would be stable on SSB compared to a Galaxy 10 meter radio. the 10 meter radios seem to drift on SSB some and most people do not like having to keep touching the clarifier to keep it on channel. the drifting on SSB bothers some people. I have used the 10 meter for SSB and the slight drift does not bother me. just my opinion on this.<br>have you looked at the Anytone AT6666 radio in place of the others. I bought one a few months ago and so far have been impressed with its performance. I bought one because of others talking about how well it worked. <br>this is just my opinions and others may have other thoughts so maybe they will chime in here eventially.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Best mobile radio I have had in years, is the President McKinley...AM/SSB and has just about anything you would want in a CB Radio...Mine is paired up with a 1x2 Amp and I'm seeing about 350w's out of the set-up...

SSB very stable. and I've had no problems shooting skip on the AM channels and SSB. (when we had some DX)

My antenna is a Predator 10K single coil mounted on a riser in the back of my Tacoma...Didn't want to drill a hole in the roof, but with the riser the antenna is at the roof line...The 1x2 is in the toolbox, and I have a remote switch on the side of the console to turn it on and off.

Locally I can talk up to about 30 miles (give or take) with this set-up, just depends on the conditions at the time...could probably get a little more mileage out of it at night when the channels are quieter, but don't get out much after dark...Usually if I can hear someone off in the distance, I have no problems getting back to them.

note: The antenna in the pic's is a Monkey Made "Big John" which I did have on, but I went back to the Predator 10K because it's lighter weight and less stress on the mount...plus it tuned better!
    Last edited by JesseJamesDallas; 10-31-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have looked into the any tone, can it be opened up to run above/below channels 1/40? That is the main reason looking at some kind of export otherwise i have to buy a stock radio and then let someone inside to install channel kits. In my experience every "radio tech" ive used has turned my radio into a splatter box you guys think some kind of coil antenna would get out better than a 102" whip? Idk conditions suck right now anyways. I was parked at the top of monteagle last night could barely hear a guy on 28. He has a southern accent, he runs lots of power if memory serves me right its bossman. Like i said used to be on radio all the time. I even let my ham ticket go

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    never saw or used a McKinley so do not even know if it has SSB you mentioned you wanted. the AT6666 has both AM and SSB. and yes the 6666 covers the export channels. all is programable through the front controls. no need to open the cases for mods.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    President McKinley is AM/SSB yes

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    After looking at the at6666 it aounds like a really nice unit. The price is pretty good too.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Hey JJD I bought a new pickup last month and am going to put my antenna like you have yours. so many people try to mount the antenna right behind the cab at the bed hiegth and SWR goes through the roof.
    ever time some one ask about how to mount an antenna in the bed I try to hunt down one of your pics to show them how it is done right.
    my last pickup I made a bracket to extend into the bed but was never happy with it. I did a couple like yours when I was selling and working on radios so I know it works very good.
    I was wondering if I could save a pic of your antenna setup and when some one ask about how to mount it I could post your picture?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Is there any difference in the anytone at 6666 and at5555?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    no help from me on the AT5555 since I have never had one of them. the AT6666 is the only Anytone radio I have ever had in my hands.
    you might just type in each model number in a search and see what you can find on each radio to compare.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None