preps
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniden 980 burnt up. Is it fixable?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uniden 980 burnt up. Is it fixable?

I sold a 980 and the guy fried it right away. He accidentally put to much power to it. It burnt up the strip-like things on the board. Is it fixable or should I give it back and tell him to trash it?
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    anything can be fixed...just depends on how much your willing to pay!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    anything can be fixed...just depends on how much your willing to pay!
    Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. I know I can throw a bunch of money at it and get it working again but would it be worth it is what I'm after...Or maybe one of the gentlemen that do this type of work daily could give me a ballpark.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    nobody is going to be able to answer a loaded question like that, without first seeing the radio and what all is fried... With all the SMT boards in these radios now days, trying to repair one that's been torched might not be feasible to fix and may have to just be replaced, which if that's the case you may as well just buy a new radio...

Without seeing whats broke, how do you expect someone to tell you if it's worth fixing or not?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    nobody is going to be able to answer a loaded question like that, without first seeing the radio and what all is fried... With all the SMT boards in these radios now days, trying to repair one that's been torched might not be feasible to fix and may have to just be replaced, which if that's the case you may as well just buy a new radio...

Without seeing whats broke, how do you expect someone to tell you if it's worth fixing or not?
    First off I said what was burnt. Second I'm sure the techs that work on 980's know what I'm talking about and have seen it before. And THIRD...Three people answered my question. I got 3 quotes today. I sent photos and a video of the board and the areas that were burnt up and told them exactly what happen.. 1 was 75 plus shipping 1 was 85-95 plus shipping and the other told me I'd be better off scraping it...lol I think I'm going to just tell the guy to buy another radio.
    Last edited by T-I-N-Y34; 04-12-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    did the buyer connect the power wires backwards ?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniden-BE...EaAl2HEALw_wcB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Sounds like some traces got fried off the board. To prevent further faults, replace the burned area with bent paper clip pieces take the place and soldered down.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    The dummy blew the fuse then he put a screw in the fuse holder. And put like 24 volts to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    did the buyer connect the power wires backwards ?
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Uniden-BE...EaAl2HEALw_wcB

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I don't know what that is. Is that the things that look like ribbons or long flat strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post
    Sounds like some traces got fried off the board. To prevent further faults, replace the burned area with bent paper clip pieces take the place and soldered down.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-I-N-Y34 View Post
    First off I said what was burnt. Second I'm sure the techs that work on 980's know what I'm talking about and have seen it before. And THIRD...Three people answered my question. I got 3 quotes today. I sent photos and a video of the board and the areas that were burnt up and told them exactly what happen.. 1 was 75 plus shipping 1 was 85-95 plus shipping and the other told me I'd be better off scraping it...lol I think I'm going to just tell the guy to buy another radio.
    What I was getting at, is there's a good possibility there's more damaged than just what you see...Yes, the traces are fried, but there's probably going to be some other parts that needs to be replace but there's no way to tell till you start tinkering with it...sounds like time to make it a door stop.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None