preps
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniden 980 burnt up. Is it fixable?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Nope just the traces. It's being fixed now. And it wasn't as bad as I thought. He's only charging the guy $50.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    What I was getting at, is there's a good possibility there's more damaged than just what you see...Yes, the traces are fried, but there's probably going to be some other parts that needs to be replace but there's no way to tell till you start tinkering with it...sounds like time to make it a door stop.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

2. The Following User Says Thank You to T-I-N-Y34 For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (04-19-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    What I was getting at, is there's a good possibility there's more damaged than just what you see...Yes, the traces are fried, but there's probably going to be some other parts that needs to be replace but there's no way to tell till you start tinkering with it...sounds like time to make it a door stop.
    This thread is a little old but I tend to agree with JJD I wouldn't waste money on a 980 because you can get them New fairly cheap. I bought one new from Walmart for around $130 with free shipping and I have never been impressed with that radio. I bought a Galaxy DX 979 for my other vehicle and was so impressed with it right out of the box I bought another to set up as my Base station! I've been a repairman all my life out of necessity and found you can throw a lot of good money in old junk. LOL Just a tired Old repairman's opinion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    True, it could turn into a "one thing after another" repair.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (05-08-2019), whiteastro (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post
    True, it could turn into a "one thing after another" repair.
    You sound like a man of Knowledge! LOL I have seen that before in the world of maintenance. I have raised the dead many times, but have ask myself if it was worth it. LOL especially my old house and some of my old vehicles. I've heard it said before ( Just because you can doesn't mean you should )

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    LOL...You guys didn't read...It's already been fixed for $50. It's working, the guys been using it everyday. The repairman even lined everything back up peek and tunes it and went through everything else to make sure nothing else was damaged. Great guy.
    I'm as crazy as my meds let me be...Sometimes that's a little overwhelming for people...LOL

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to T-I-N-Y34 For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (05-09-2019), whiteastro (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by T-I-N-Y34 View Post
    LOL...You guys didn't read...It's already been fixed for $50. It's working, the guys been using it everyday. The repairman even lined everything back up peek and tunes it and went through everything else to make sure nothing else was damaged. Great guy.
    It's good to see a man get lucky once in awhile. You better take care of that Tech that fixed it because most would want that just to look at it. I'd like to find a Radio Tech around here but they are hard to find!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    It's good to see a man get lucky once in awhile. You better take care of that Tech that fixed it because most would want that just to look at it. I'd like to find a Radio Tech around here but they are hard to find!
    He said it was an easy fix...Took him about 20 min. But yeah he's a great guy. He doesn't charge people to just look at it. He says I don't do anything but look so why charge for it. But now you get into something big and he'll get his moneys worth...lol

12. The Following User Says Thank You to T-I-N-Y34 For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (05-11-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    [QUOTE=T-I-N-Y34;14977]He said it was an easy fix...Took him about 20 min. But yeah he's a great guy. He doesn't charge people to just look at it. He says I don't do anything but look so why charge for it. But now you get into something big and he'll get his moneys worth...lol[/QU

His way of thinking is definitely old school but not a bad way by no means and will assure he has lots of work. The trouble today is most want to get rich off every job. If he is around West Virginia he probably has some of the old values left that helped build this country.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just to weigh in.... I've seen a lightning strike radio fixed on one of MikesRadioRepair videos. SO it can be done. Your first posting suggests that traces are burned off of the board. You don't give any sense of how MANY are burnt off the board. That kind of a repair is going to be extremely labor intensive. If it is 1 or 2 or 5 traces... it might be worth it. If it is the back half of the radio.... it most likely isn't. When the repair bill gets up towards the cost of another radio, you've got to think about it carefully.

Yes, traces can be hand cut and trimmed, epoxied and soldered to the board. It is going to be pricey. And the pricey will vary from trace to trace with length and difficulty of routing. Too many traces like that and it will be too close to the price of another. I would imagine some techs that could do this... would evaluate the job up front and refuse to do it beyond a point because they don't really want to tie the time up in it on the chance that the customer may not be satisfied in the end and just abandon the radio.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer... there are just too many variables.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It's already fixed...Thanks though
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Just to weigh in.... I've seen a lightning strike radio fixed on one of MikesRadioRepair videos. SO it can be done. Your first posting suggests that traces are burned off of the board. You don't give any sense of how MANY are burnt off the board. That kind of a repair is going to be extremely labor intensive. If it is 1 or 2 or 5 traces... it might be worth it. If it is the back half of the radio.... it most likely isn't. When the repair bill gets up towards the cost of another radio, you've got to think about it carefully.

Yes, traces can be hand cut and trimmed, epoxied and soldered to the board. It is going to be pricey. And the pricey will vary from trace to trace with length and difficulty of routing. Too many traces like that and it will be too close to the price of another. I would imagine some techs that could do this... would evaluate the job up front and refuse to do it beyond a point because they don't really want to tie the time up in it on the chance that the customer may not be satisfied in the end and just abandon the radio.

Sorry I can't give you a better answer... there are just too many variables.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None