preps

Thread: CB Grounding

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

CB Grounding

Hello, I'm looking to run a ground wire to my CB antenna on my 2019 Cascadia. Do I need to run the wire to the frame, or can I run it to the ground side of the battery? It would be a lot quicker to run to the battery then to the frame as I would need to wire-brush and find a large enough fitting to get over the large bolts that are on the frame. Forget about drilling a smaller hole for a smaller fitting in the frame as we all know how tough these frames are.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Posted over on the Truckers Report forum to your question...and I'll say the same thing here...

Assuming your talking about the antenna bracket, and not the antenna itself. Ground wire needs to go to frame, NOT the Negative side of the battery....Battery hook-ups are for electrical connections, not RF Grounding...would also be better to use flat ground braid and not round electrical wire for the ground.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-29-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thanks for the reply on both forums... Yes, the antenna bracket and not the whip itself. Flat braided wire was hard to find so I picked up 4 gauge stranded wire with factory connections at each end and the wire in a jacket. I guess I'll have to find a place to ground to on the frame. This truck is all plastic and fiberglass. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You can find it on ebay...but if nothing else, you can use old coax...Just strip off the outer jacket, then pull out the center conductor wire, and what you have left is the ground braid...just flatten it out, and your set!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (05-29-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Never thought of that, would have saved me $15...

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    do a thorough job of sealing the braid because those fine wires can corrode and short . some folks have success connecting to exhaust stacks for ground . YMMV ......

Visitors found this page by searching for

None