preps
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: At my wit's end

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentJeffy View Post
    Man that's disappointing. I just wanted to get the best circular coverage and overall range out of my CB...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    can you not use a magnet mount? or drill a hole and instal a hockey puck mount?

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well I looked into a hockey puck mount but I don't know that they'd hold up well on the highway. The one that uses 3 of the puck magnets looked promising but I have ridges on the roof.

So just so I understand better. Is the problem I'm experiencing because the antenna is roughly 4" ABOVE the magnetic ground?

On top of actually finding a solution (whatever it) I also am interested in learning why this is happening to begin with.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Puck mounts will hold any antenna out there...I also know what your dealing with, with the roof ridges, I had that issue with my Suburban, they do make a quad-magnet mount however that has 4 5" magnets which in most cases will let you get around those ridges...plus, ain't no-way a antenna is going to fly off using 4 magnets!

Check out "Breedloves antenna mounts" he has by-far the best antenna mounts money can buy...They cost a little more but they will outlast whatever they are mounted on...I been using his ball mounts for years and never had one fail yet.

https://www.breedlovemounts.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (06-23-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just don't know if I have the heart to drill that much into the body to mount the thing...

Too bad there isn't really a good AND durable magnetic mount antenna I could just go to.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Well as far as magnet mounts go, the best one I have used to date for a single magnet setup is the Sirio PL145. You may need to change the coax out to some better stuff, but the magnet itself is pretty strong for a single magnet setup. Then there are the 3 and 4 magnet setups that are awesome as well. But remember you will have to do some maintenance on any of the to keep them working well. You won’t have this issue with a drill through mount. Just some food for thought.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ended up breaking down and drill mounting the antenna with a Firestik door jamb mount. Put it between my rear trunk hatch and pillar. SWR is a marvelous 1.1 on 1 and 40. Running the Firestik Firering cable and a FSII in 4'. May upgrade to 5'.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AgentJeffy For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (06-14-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    One alternative would be to mount some grounded elements to the roof rack, like the ground plane on a base antenna. I've seen hubs that mount one fire stick vertical and three at a downward angle to create the ground plane.

Visitors found this page by searching for

None