preps

Thread: Hy Gain SPT 500 Super Penetrator Set up

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Hy Gain SPT 500 Super Penetrator Set up

I've had this New Penetrator about 6 mos. and figured it is about time to get it set up. So today I started the task and found it not to bad of a job. The question is the instructions say to make the ground radials 105" and I read in here someone suggested 103" and they had a really good SWR match. Within a few weeks I will be turning 69 yrs. old so I want to keep the ladder work to a minimum because it kills my legs. So time for everyone with experience with this Penetrator antenna to chime in. The majority Wins. I know they market this for 10/12 meter and I'm setting it up for 11meter. How much difference do the ground radials make in the different meter set up. I know I'm in a tough spot to get out of so I always shoot for a Flat Liner SWR I want my system to be all it can be.

Thanks in advance for the help. Mike

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    if if your vswr is good and you're not gonna be free banding i'd leave it as is . the 2 inch difference in ground radials will never be herd on TX or RX . if you decide to free band or go to 12 meters in the future i'd just put up another antenna 40 ft or more away ... or you could use a antenna tuner .

https://www.dxengineering.com/search...ridPageSize=96

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (07-29-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    if if your vswr is good and you're not gonna be free banding i'd leave it as is . the 2 inch difference in ground radials will never be herd on TX or RX . if you decide to free band or go to 12 meters in the future i'd just put up another antenna 40 ft or more away ... or you could use a antenna tuner .

https://www.dxengineering.com/search...ridPageSize=96
    Thanks for the input on this antenna, I've been reading all I can find on this antenna and have come to some decisions. I'm going to set it up and bite the bullet if I have to tweak it. The old DX has really been rolling in this summer so I better get CRACKING. Thanks again Mike
    Last edited by whiteastro; 01-19-2020 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    do be aware that adding a mast under the antenna will slightly effect the tuning , but usually it's a very negligible amount on the CB band and should still be perfectly safe for the equipment and have no noticeable effect on TX?RX as long as it's still a safe distance from power wires and structures .

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (07-30-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    do be aware that adding a mast under the antenna will slightly effect the tuning , but usually it's a very negligible amount on the CB band and should still be perfectly safe for the equipment and have no noticeable effect on TX?RX as long as it's still a safe distance from power wires and structures .
    Thanks for the heads up on the mast and the SWR. This time around I'm building my own custom made tilting mast mount system so I can raise and lower the antenna and mast with a rope and pulley system by myself to make adjustments to the antenna easier. Sometimes helpers are in too big a hurry to get a job done.
    It will be impossible for this system to fall on any Power Wires and it was planned this way. Thanks again Mike

8. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (07-31-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Tip over masts used to be pretty common, folded over around the ten foot point and was up to 35 foot total. Small hand winch was needed, part of the install. Make sure you have room when it tips, or one setup tipped over the roof and made easy access.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjd420nova For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (08-09-2019), whiteastro (08-05-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by mjd420nova View Post
    Tip over masts used to be pretty common, folded over around the ten foot point and was up to 35 foot total. Small hand winch was needed, part of the install. Make sure you have room when it tips, or one setup tipped over the roof and made easy access.
    Yes I'm sure with all the smart people that have come before me someone has thought of it before, Just I haven't ever seen or heard of one before. Of coarse Radio isn't my specialty. just a fun hobby. I wish I had a larger budget to work with but all things must take their turn in my wallet. ( LOL ) I have checked clearances for the project and have thought of hand crank winches, Come-a longs, and ropes and pulleys.

Anyway thanks for the info and your never too old to learn a few new tricks. Mike

Visitors found this page by searching for

None