preps
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cobra microphone repair

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cobra microphone repair

I have a couple Cobra CA 73 microphones that appear to be not working and before I just throw them out I was wondering if there is a common simple problem with this style Mic. They both look good and I had them apart and I don't see anything wrong on the inside. Sometimes it is something small.

Thanks Mike

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What do you mean by not working? dead carrier(no modulation) or PTT switch dirty not working?

nosaj

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    What do you mean by not working? dead carrier(no modulation) or PTT switch dirty not working?

nosaj

The one microphone is from my old cobra and I would say no Modulation or Low Modulation because I did get someone to answer it but said it was low. And yes I had the Mic gain turned all the way up. The other mic. is a used one I bought as a replacement and could never get someone to answer it. The push to talk buttons work on both Mics. I sprayed both with electronic contact cleaner. I read somewhere that someone else had problems with cobra mics. I won't spend lots of time and money on them but just thought if it was a known common problem I could fix I wouldn't fill up the landfill with more electronic junk. Thanks for the come back!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Could be as simple as resoldering the cables to the connector that plugs in to the radio. Which is a common problem because of being plugged in an out.

nosaj

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by nosaj View Post
    Could be as simple as resoldering the cables to the connector that plugs in to the radio. Which is a common problem because of being plugged in an out.

nosaj
    Thanks for the thought and that did come to my mind to check the connectors. This is probably another project to get shoved on the back burner ( LOL ) because electronic soldering is not one of my favorite things to do even though I can do it. I'm a pretty handy guy but I would rather do plumbing soldering then electrical. I read somewhere that they suggested banging the mic. off the desk to solve the problem so that leads me to believe that maybe something sticks in these mics. Anyway thanks for your thoughts! SOOOO much to do and so little time for a Old Guy! LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    "Chunk-em" Don't waste valuable brain cells trying to turn a turd into a diamond...The CA 73's are probably the worst Microphones ever sold with Cobra radios....They are nothing short of Junk right out of China...

If your just wanting a Cobra Mic, to run with your Cobra radio, look for the older coffin style Mic's...Best stock microphones ever produced...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JesseJamesDallas For This Useful Post:

222DBFL (07-21-2019), whiteastro (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseJamesDallas View Post
    "Chunk-em" Don't waste valuable brain cells trying to turn a turd into a diamond...The CA 73's are probably the worst Microphones ever sold with Cobra radios....They are nothing short of Junk right out of China...

If your just wanting a Cobra Mic, to run with your Cobra radio, look for the older coffin style Mic's...Best stock microphones ever produced...

LOL Thanks JJD I got a good laugh out of your answer. I was thinking the same thing about being Cobra's JUNK! I can't remember where I read it but it lead me to believe I might have a hold of some of their problem children. I just wanted a mic to work so I could sell my old Cobra 29 NW ST. Everything works great on it but I'm not into straight AM radios anymore. I bought a cheap Cobra mic. from Wally World so now I can unload it and it should make someone a good radio.

Thanks for the come back. I've been having fun with Skip.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

JesseJamesDallas (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteastro View Post
    Thanks for the thought and that did come to my mind to check the connectors. This is probably another project to get shoved on the back burner ( LOL ) because electronic soldering is not one of my favorite things to do even though I can do it. I'm a pretty handy guy but I would rather do plumbing soldering then electrical. I read somewhere that they suggested banging the mic. off the desk to solve the problem so that leads me to believe that maybe something sticks in these mics. Anyway thanks for your thoughts! SOOOO much to do and so little time for a Old Guy! LOL
    I'm pretty sure banging on the desk could only make it worse.
    nosaj

13. The Following User Says Thank You to nosaj For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Might not hurt to save them if you can. Never hurts to have a spare cable or two for the future.
    Uniden Bearcat 980, Cobra 29 LX, Cobra 18 WX ST II, GE 3-5812A, Realistic TRC-448, Uniden Pro 520XL, Fat Boy 2 PLL, Solarcon A-99

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AtLarge For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (07-21-2019)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by AtLarge View Post
    Might not hurt to save them if you can. Never hurts to have a spare cable or two for the future.
    Know that is a good thought. My factory cables on my 2 Galaxy DX979 and 1 Uniden 520XL Pro are Too short for comfort in my opinion. Those 2 bad cobra mics do have nice long cables on them. I'll check them for continuity.

Thanks again
    Last edited by whiteastro; 03-20-2024 at 05:55 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2186-Cobra-microphone-repair