preps
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
    This is really interesting...I just posted a pic of my antenna looking to identify it and looking for instructions and wouldn't you know it...I have a Hy-Gain SPT 500 Penetrator lol. Well....looks like my questions were answered. Now to get it tuned when the weather cools of a bit more here in Az.
    Your welcome and I'm happy this thread answered your questions. That is what this forum is about, helping each other out. So many in here has helped me so it is good to pass it on. Looking at your picture post I see you have the older style original antenna with the wire style element at the base. The new ones have changed to flat sheet metal instead of wire style. But they are suppose to be electrically the same. Good luck and happy DXing!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Believe me I was happy to see your info. I was about to order a new antenna. I found the installation instructions so now I have the exact measurements to tune this in correctly. I put it up and messed with it for about a week trying to get it tuned then gave up, that was about a year ago. Thanks again!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Moe For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-03-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
    Believe me I was happy to see your info. I was about to order a new antenna. I found the installation instructions so now I have the exact measurements to tune this in correctly. I put it up and messed with it for about a week trying to get it tuned then gave up, that was about a year ago. Thanks again!

The top section of the whip is all you move up and down to adjust the swr and if you take your time and be picky it should give you a great swr reading across the 11 meter band. But like they say it can vary just a little because of your situation, and make sure you seal off your coax connection because it it exposed to the elements. I put heat shrink tube on mine. Good luck and let me know what your SWR ends up!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

Big Moe (10-03-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'll get back to it in a couple of weeks but I'll let ya know!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Moe For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-03-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    keep in mind that when you mount a antenna on a metal mast/tower and/or add a wire to earth ground it does effect the tuning of the antenna but typically it's very little to trivial . if you want to split hairs adjusting ground elements can help you achieve that goal . IMO if you've got an acceptable VSWR it isn't worth the effort , but to each their own .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-06-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    keep in mind that when you mount a antenna on a metal mast/tower and/or add a wire to earth ground it does effect the tuning of the antenna but typically it's very little to trivial . if you want to split hairs adjusting ground elements can help you achieve that goal . IMO if you've got an acceptable VSWR it isn't worth the effort , but to each their own .

While I have no official radio training I turn to technical data to make my system be all it can be to make up for all the shortcomings I can't control. But like you said, To each their own! http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs/SWRLOSS.htm

11. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-06-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    do keep in mind when using loss charts that even a doubling or halving of power doesn't make much difference in making or not making a dx contact . but i do appreciate you using "technical data to make my system be all it can be to make up for all the shortcomings I can't control " . a more real issue/danger (IMO) is damaging equipment with a vswr beyond what it can survive .

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-07-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Of coarse avoiding damage to your radio is priority #1 in setting SWR, but geographic area is also a concern for some of us due to limitations it puts on us running barefoot in a mountainous area. I checked out Richmond VA info and it looks like you have low rolling hills with a elevation of less than 200' above sea level so it looks like your more fortunate when it comes to radio communications. Around here we have extreme sudden changes in elevation almost like riding a huge rolley coaster and doing it barefoot is a pain in the back side. If your getting in the DX game you just turn on the foot warmer to help you out. Myself I'm starting to tire of the extra noise when skip isn't rolling so the warmer is staying off most of the time. Thanks for the input and thoughts and like always Happy DXing!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-07-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I have the antenna down and took the mast apart for proper measurements. The instructions show the exposed length of each mast pipe. My dilemma is, the mast pipe that slips into the base mast is not long enough to have 52 1/8" exposed per instructions. It's 52 1/4" long. Can the difference be made up in the top section??

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Just an FYI...I've been around CB's for better than 40 years. I appreciate tips and tricks to getting things done as I may have forgotten a few things over time .

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage2

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage4