preps
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    i'm in tazewell va in the blueridge mountians on top of a ridge line , no longer in richmond . but you are absolutely correct that location/terrain plays a big role in how our systems perform . i don't have my stuff set up , been doing a lot of fixing up around here .

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
    I have the antenna down and took the mast apart for proper measurements. The instructions show the exposed length of each mast pipe. My dilemma is, the mast pipe that slips into the base mast is not long enough to have 52 1/8" exposed per instructions. It's 52 1/4" long. Can the difference be made up in the top section??

How old is you antenna system, is it one of the originals? You should be able to make your final adjustment with the top section of mass. My instructions say overlap each section of mass 2-3" instead of a set measurement. If your antenna was put together for a long period of time they should be discolored where they were joined together, I would slide them back the way they were on a set of saw horses on the ground and see if they end up with your final measurement. My instructions say a final measurement of 22' 6" but it was marketed for 10/12 Meter not the 11 meter band. If yours is a original it should say 22' 9.5" for 11 meter. 2-3" of overlap of each section allows a wide variance in end product before you clamp it together. Good Luck don't sweat the small stuff and let us know the end result! PS It's human nature to forget over time, I forgot if I set my overlap at 2" or 3" LOL
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-08-2020 at 04:47 AM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    i'm in tazewell va in the blueridge mountians on top of a ridge line , no longer in richmond . but you are absolutely correct that location/terrain plays a big role in how our systems perform . i don't have my stuff set up , been doing a lot of fixing up around here .

I can appreciate that because I have been nothing but a slave to my house this summer!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-09-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe it's an original. The first instructions I downloaded shows measurements for each pipe. I went back and found another set of instructions and it shows the 2-3" of overlap. I'll set it with the overlap and get an overall length like you have, 22' 9" and see what the swr is at.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Moe For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-08-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I believe it's an original. The first instructions I downloaded shows measurements for each pipe. I went back and found another set of instructions and it shows the 2-3" of overlap. I'll set it with the overlap and get an overall length like you have, 22' 9" and see what the swr is at.

Good luck! I always thought I might have been able to shorten it another 1/4-1/2" but 22' 9" gave me a great SWR and by that time I was tired of raising & lowering so I said good enough. Like Booty Monster said, I would have been Splitting Hairs. LOL

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    kinda off topic ...... but this is one reason i like the maco tapped ring type tuning method . much easier to tune .

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    22'9" gave me a bit of a high swr. 1.5 on channel 1 and 1.8 on 40 so now begins the fun.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    22'9" gave me a bit of a high swr. 1.5 on channel 1 and 1.8 on 40 so now begins the fun.

Make sure your coax connections are clean with a little Di-electric grease, and shorten your antenna a half inch. Good luck PS with using a older antenna make sure you don't have a corrosion problem at any connection mechanical or electrical, including the coax itself.
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-09-2020 at 04:55 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-09-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    kinda off topic ...... but this is one reason i like the maco tapped ring type tuning method . much easier to tune .

The maco V or W 58 antenna looks and sounds interesting!

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    well , pick your poison if you're gonna leave it stock . they don't have the length to actually be a 5/8 wavelength on the cb band . of course you can add a length of aluminum tube to make it a true 5/8 or .64 WL and there should be plenty of adjustment on the tapped ring for the extra length . i home brewed one years ago and it tuned just fine . those parts are now used on my home brewed sigma 4 /vector 4000 . if you already have the hygain it is a more durable antenna with beefier components and i would stick with it . it should be worth the extra effort to tune it .

a very nice thing about both of these antennas is that they don't have any hidden solder connections in the matching network so you don't have to worry about buying another antenna if/when it fails . just clean any corrosion off (if it develops) and stick it back up . however ..... sometimes moisture (rain/snow) can effect the tuning a point or two but if it's tuned adequately it shouldn't be a problem , unless you're a needle watcher .

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-10-2020)

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage2

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage4