preps
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    well , pick your poison if you're gonna leave it stock . they don't have the length to actually be a 5/8 wavelength on the cb band . of course you can add a length of aluminum tube to make it a true 5/8 or .64 WL and there should be plenty of adjustment on the tapped ring for the extra length . i home brewed one years ago and it tuned just fine . those parts are now used on my home brewed sigma 4 /vector 4000 . if you already have the hygain it is a more durable antenna with beefier components and i would stick with it . it should be worth the extra effort to tune it .

a very nice thing about both of these antennas is that they don't have any hidden solder connections in the matching network so you don't have to worry about buying another antenna if/when it fails . just clean any corrosion off (if it develops) and stick it back up . however ..... sometimes moisture (rain/snow) can effect the tuning a point or two but if it's tuned adequately it shouldn't be a problem , unless you're a needle watcher .

For sure there is no perfect antenna and I'm done buying antennas. People tend to brag about what they have and not tell you the down side of it. I actually took my Super Penetrator down and have settled on just my Sirio Starduster because the SWR stays consistent in all weather. The Penetrator changed SWR considerably in the rain and turning on the amp compounded the problem. I have no time to baby sit a antenna because too many other things in life going on, and the Star Duster works in this valley. I have read in other posts people have found ways to eliminate the rain problem with the Penetrator but I have no time for that because of finishing work on my house. If I ever get out of here I might try a Beam antenna but for now my Sirio Star Duster serves me good enough and I have laid the Hype to rest. The only reason I mentioned the Maco V58 was because my locale CB shop has one set up and he says it isn't affected by rain, snow, or ice.
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-10-2020 at 03:13 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to whiteastro For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (10-13-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    location is everything . down in a hole/valley the higher take off angle of the 1/4 wave GP would be beneficial .

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BOOTY MONSTER For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by BOOTY MONSTER View Post
    location is everything . down in a hole/valley the higher take off angle of the 1/4 wave GP would be beneficial .

Thank BM I read that in one of your other post and it helped confirm what my old Ham buddy Dray also told me. Don't get me wrong I wish I had more time to build my own antenna, but I have to be practical. You guys that are into radio have helped me a lot and sure enjoy learning from these forums! PS I'm sure the Penetrator in the right spot would be a great antenna if you took time to fix the Hic-cup with the rain problem.
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-14-2020 at 05:25 AM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    My first antenna when I got back into CB was a Workman M400 Starduster because it was affordable and it ran great for years with a low SWR until water got in it and it froze and split. That was because they didn't drill a weep hole in the bottom of it like Sirio does in theirs. I have fixed that old workman antenna and put a weep hole in it so it is ready to ride again for someone.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm done with this old antenna and trying to tune it. Thanks to those who had some tips and tricks on these but I'm done messing with it. Time to buy a new antenna that I know works and new coax so everything is fresh. I'v had an Antron 99 before and it worked great plus tuned super simple.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Moe For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Moe View Post
    I'm done with this old antenna and trying to tune it. Thanks to those who had some tips and tricks on these but I'm done messing with it. Time to buy a new antenna that I know works and new coax so everything is fresh. I'v had an Antron 99 before and it worked great plus tuned super simple.

Sorry it didn't work out for you but if you read the other posts in here the penetrator is bothered by rain so I took mine down. What ever antenna you put up make sure it is not bothered by rain, ice, or snow and high wind. That way you can enjoy your investment when ever you want. Good Luck!
    Last edited by whiteastro; 10-14-2020 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I ordered another Antron99. Here in this part of Az it never snows and hardly rains so I'm good lol.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Big Moe For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (10-14-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I bought one of the new SPT-500's about 5 years ago to replace my Proton-99. I opened the box, looked at it, closed the box and sold it on Craigslist 2 days later. Ended up 2 days later with an IMax.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    ....replacing my old Maco 5/8 with a SPT500....hoping it does equally as well.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by frontshadow View Post
    ....replacing my old Maco 5/8 with a SPT500....hoping it does equally as well.

The SPT500 gets a lot of good reviews but what they don't tell you is it is bothered by rain and snow&ice. If you don't have it already I would consider the Maco V58 as it is not bothered by rain,snow& ice. If you have the SPT 500 already search for the post on weather proofing it. I've seen it posted on the net but can't remember where or I would send you a link to it. The SWR gos bad in the rain on the SPT 500 but returns to normal after it stops raining. That is why I took my SPT 500 down and settled for my Staduster which isn't bothered by the elements. Good Luck
    Last edited by whiteastro; 11-15-2020 at 06:52 PM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage2

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage4