preps
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Finally got my Hy-Gain SPT 500 penetrator set up for 11 meter

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've had nothing but SWR troubles with the Maco ever since I've had it new as original owner. Several times I've reset the SWR, carefully marked the radials (which have never moved). Weather seems to affect it easily. Heavy rains drive the background up 1-2 S Units. It works great as long as the weather stays fairly constant. I've changed radios, coax, used No Ox, greased and waterproofed connections, and the problem still comes and goes with weather. I have two other ground planes and a beam. They all are consistent. Maco even sent me a new 5/8 as I complained so much. So, I'm trying the Penetrator.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frontshadow For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (02-27-2021), whiteastro (12-02-2020)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by frontshadow View Post
    I've had nothing but SWR troubles with the Maco ever since I've had it new as original owner. Several times I've reset the SWR, carefully marked the radials (which have never moved). Weather seems to affect it easily. Heavy rains drive the background up 1-2 S Units. It works great as long as the weather stays fairly constant. I've changed radios, coax, used No Ox, greased and waterproofed connections, and the problem still comes and goes with weather. I have two other ground planes and a beam. They all are consistent. Maco even sent me a new 5/8 as I complained so much. So, I'm trying the Penetrator.

Which Maco antenna are you talking about having trouble with in the rain. I was referring to the Maco V58 which I had 2 other operators tell me from their experience that their V58 was not bothered by the elements. I know from my experience and 2 other posts that 3 operators had rain problems with the SPT 500 Penetrator. Let me know how you make out because trying antennas gets expensive. I do know from my experience of probably around 15 years I never had a problem with my Lowly old StarDuster antenna so I would be satisfied with just keep using it. Good Luck and hope it works out for you !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Reading this thread I had to go dig out my old 1970s Penetrator and ask myself what it is about that design that doesn't like water - and the only thing I can imagine might have something to do with the flat plastic insulators which hold the hairpin match in place.

They're flat and I suppose could catch and hold a lot of dust and dirt blowing around during the dry months so that when the rain comes it might be mixing with the minerals which have settled on the flat plastic, making a semi-conductive "mud".

I wonder if drilling them out so there is a lot less area to catch both dirt and water if it might not help to mitigate it's out of tune condition in the rain?

I recall some 20+ years ago when it was up that I did notice a little rise in swr but I don't recall it being more than maybe a 1.3:1. I wonder if the old original first gen Penetrator has a lesser tendency to go out of tune in the rain compared with the new SPT-500?

Maybe spray-insulating the main radiating element with Flexseal or Plastidip around those insulators and where it goes down through the radial hub might also help prevent high swr rain detuning?

Maybe I'll polish it up and throw it up there in place of the I10k and try a few things, now that it's rain season.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mountain Radio View Post
    Reading this thread I had to go dig out my old 1970s Penetrator and ask myself what it is about that design that doesn't like water - and the only thing I can imagine might have something to do with the flat plastic insulators which hold the hairpin match in place.

They're flat and I suppose could catch and hold a lot of dust and dirt blowing around during the dry months so that when the rain comes it might be mixing with the minerals which have settled on the flat plastic, making a semi-conductive "mud".

I wonder if drilling them out so there is a lot less area to catch both dirt and water if it might not help to mitigate it's out of tune condition in the rain?

I recall some 20+ years ago when it was up that I did notice a little rise in swr but I don't recall it being more than maybe a 1.3:1. I wonder if the old original first gen Penetrator has a lesser tendency to go out of tune in the rain compared with the new SPT-500?

Maybe spray-insulating the main radiating element with Flexseal or Plastidip around those insulators and where it goes down through the radial hub might also help prevent high swr rain detuning?

Maybe I'll polish it up and throw it up there in place of the I10k and try a few things, now that it's rain season.

Thanks for your thoughts and please let me know how you make out. This company now owns the Hygain name https://mfjenterprises.com/ and if you look in there you can find a phone # for support which I plan on doing when I get time to see if they have a solution to the problem. I see somewhere on the internet where someone found a remedy but I didn't bookmark it. ( Dummy Me ) I have to look around in the many forums I belong to to find the post. Before you start modifying and can't reverse your action do some checking first. It is a great antenna and someone has found a solution but I have so much on my plate I just haven't had time to devote to it yet. If I find it I will let you know because you took the time to be concerned and that is a good thing. Radio people seem to be a good bunch of helpful people and make the hobby enjoyable !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Please post the "cure" if you end up coming across it@!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cedar Mountain Radio For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (01-12-2021)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Mountain Radio View Post
    Please post the "cure" if you end up coming across it@!

Will do on the cure to help a bunch of good guys. Nothing like giving !

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I just found an old Hygain Super Penetrator antenna the other day. I plan to rework it and get it put to use. Back in the 70's I had the golden super penetrator. I do remember the swr going up a little but not dramatically. I also had a starduster antenna and it was not affected by rain.
    CMR mentioned maybe it was the plastic between the hairpin matching device and the bottom of the radiator and the rain causing a short. What if the hairpin was insulated itself? So that the rain could not make the short between the pin and the radiator. And then again, maybe it would still make the short down at the bolt connection.
    I too would like to hear the solution.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to deriter For This Useful Post:

whiteastro (02-27-2021)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by deriter View Post
    I just found an old Hygain Super Penetrator antenna the other day. I plan to rework it and get it put to use. Back in the 70's I had the golden super penetrator. I do remember the swr going up a little but not dramatically. I also had a starduster antenna and it was not affected by rain.
    CMR mentioned maybe it was the plastic between the hairpin matching device and the bottom of the radiator and the rain causing a short. What if the hairpin was insulated itself? So that the rain could not make the short between the pin and the radiator. And then again, maybe it would still make the short down at the bolt connection.
    I too would like to hear the solution.

Ok I have been checking on that problem and asking questions in worldwide dx forum and this is what they are telling me but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. They say on the matching device on the bottom there is 2 plastic insulators and the top one should have the long end of the insulator pointing up instead of down like mine came. So i guess I have to switch it around. One guy in that forum made his own top insulator out of better material and claims it solved the problem. Go to that forum and check it out because there is a lot of pics. Myself I'm going to switch my insulator first and give it a try after I talk with HyGain technical support. Good luck and keep us posted because it will help many with this common problem ! https://www.worldwidedx.com/register/register
    Last edited by whiteastro; 02-27-2021 at 08:27 PM.

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Thank you whiteastro. Without seeing the pictures, I assume by repositioning the plastic insulator, it causes the rain to shed? I was unable to view the site you posted, but when I receive the replacement parts that I will order I will make sure to look carefully at the parts to make sure as to how they are installed. Thanks again!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deriter For This Useful Post:

BOOTY MONSTER (02-27-2021), whiteastro (02-28-2021)

Thanks
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Quote Originally Posted by deriter View Post
    Thank you whiteastro. Without seeing the pictures, I assume by repositioning the plastic insulator, it causes the rain to shed? I was unable to view the site you posted, but when I receive the replacement parts that I will order I will make sure to look carefully at the parts to make sure as to how they are installed. Thanks again!

I have to ask. Did you join that site so you could ( Log In ) You might not be able search and find the pictures unless you log in. If you can log in to that site I will send a link here so you can go to that page and log in. It's in the CB Antenna section. https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/...-2#post-756214
    Last edited by whiteastro; 02-28-2021 at 07:10 AM.

Visitors found this page by searching for

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage2

http:www.cbjunkies.comthreads2198-Finally-got-my-Hy-Gain-SPT-500-penetrator-set-up-for-11-meterpage4